PT-2399 Quality Question

I’m about to order some PT-2399 chips and noticed that they cost about $0.35 on Amazon and about $2.40 each on StompBox. Are all PT-2399 created equal or are there quality differences between different price points?

I imagine they sound exactly the same but may not last as long. (Similar to purchasing a flash drive. The cheap ones work but break easily.) Let me know your thoughts.

They don't sound the same, some are noisy as fudge. I don't know if there is a source which screens them for noise levels.

SMD tend to be much better in uniform quality.

PT-2399 are definitely goofy chips. 1000% recommend soldering IC sockets to your boards, if your using those chips in your circuit. This is because they are usually all over the place in regards to their quality of function, so using sockets let's you audition each chip to find which one operates best in your circuit.

That being said, for this chip in particular, it's always a good idea to buy multiples. I can't speak for Amazon, because I would never order any chips from there, but even from SBP, I would throw 5 of those in my cart. With SBP, you know you're getting an actual PT-2399, and with 5 I would be able to pick the best out of the bunch and also have a few left over for other projects.

Any recommendations for cheap SMD to DIP adapters that could be used for PT2399? I feel like there's probably something out there but the search term seems to be eluding me.

Or perhaps it would be worth ordering a sheet of custom scored PCBs just for this kind of thing?

Any recommendations for cheap SMD to DIP adapters that could be used for PT2399? I feel like there's probably something out there but the search term seems to be eluding me.

Or perhaps it would be worth ordering a sheet of custom scored PCBs just for this kind of thing?
To me youd have to be using an awful lot of them for the effort to make sense for the cost savings. But if it made sense id just make them in diptrace would be quite simple. Or i think robert sells some

.79 at Tayda. That's where I've got most of mine. I've had a few noisy ones, but that seems to be a problem everywhere.

I'd also recommend sockets and buying multiples.

I was going to say - for .35 buy 10 of em, try them out and let us know, but I just looked on Amazon and all the one's I see are more like .70 - 1.00.

To me youd have to be using an awful lot of them for the effort to make sense for the cost savings. But if it made sense id just make them in diptrace would be quite simple. Or i think Robert sells some
For SOIC-8 to DIP-8 I just buy half a dozen through OSHpark every year or two, at $0.95 for three, shipped. As you say, doing your own layout is dead simple, and there are probably design shares at OSH if you look hard enough. But I'd just buy bigger ones from Robert if I were already ordering something from PPCB that needed them.

There are many PT2399 clones by various companies. Quality has been hit and miss for me until I decided to only buy the original PTC brand from a reputable, industry-recognized component distributor. This would exclude places like AliExpress, eBay, Amazon, Tayda (not a first tier IC supplier), and various small/boutique resellers. In my case, I found genuine PTC PT2399s at LCSC.com. It's a major Asian supplier related to JLCPCB and EasyEDA.

Back