Pure Data / Pd

Plate of Shrimp

So, pedalwigglers:
IIRC the moderator said that a number of people are interested in trying to use PureData with Terrarium.

I was having problems getting knob control, Pd and just the Seed working, which was one reason I got a Terrarium.

Enough of my board was soldered so far to do a test using the Petal knob mappings released recently, and the fundamental sine wave example Pd patch does work with POT1 (i have it controlling volume).

It might be cool to put some working example patches together and add them to some GitHub repo. I heard @tcpoint started a repo, for example.

I have a long way to go (like ordering my boards when the other stuff I want is back in, but my seed is coming), but this is one of the reason I was interested in the Terrarium in the first place, finally learning PD, so very interested in this.

I've created a PedalPCB repo, although I'm far from a GitHub expert.

There will be some updates there in the semi-near future.

Started putting examples in my fork of the PedalPCB repo. I stole C examples from folks here and put a few Pd examples.
That said, i can make working bleep patches using Max 8 so i probably won't do much Pd anymore.

Are there any example pd patches for terrarium anywhere??? And how to set up a .jsn file for PD?? Im having a hell of a time finding any concrete information.

I seem to have put what i had at the time here:

It doesn't rehash the instructions for getting dependencies etc that exist in other places, but pointers to those could be more explicit.
I'm sure a whole lot more isn't clear but some "question-and-answer" could clear that up.

ps. @pedalsandchill your avatar is great.
pps. what is a .jsn file?
ppps. i added some code lifted from @sonic_explorer and @tcpoint without asking and i should remove that.

One fundamental note about the above, and anything Terrarium-related, is that resources for the Seed as provided by Electrosmith

are applicable, apart from subtle differences of the controls between Terrarium and Electrosmith Petal, which our admin has expressed in C code in the `Terrarium` Github repo.

Wanted to mention this for @pedalsandchill .

I found a good amount of outright broken things in the code in my Terrarium repo; I'm cleaning it up and will send a pull request to @PedalPCB for potential inclusion into the original Terrarium repo. If that happens, my repo above will be retired and eventually disappear.

One fundamental note about the above, and anything Terrarium-related, is that resources for the Seed as provided by Electrosmith

are applicable, apart from subtle differences of the controls between Terrarium and Electrosmith Petal, which our admin has expressed in C code in the `Terrarium` Github repo.

Wanted to mention this for @pedalsandchill .
Hey! Thank you so much for all the info! Hopefully this should help get me started. I thought Terrarium operated in similar capacity as orac when combining pd and scritp coding. Totally forgot i have to export the pd patch using heavy. 🤦‍♂️ My bad!

I like what @fxwiegand did with the `terrarium-stand` GitHub template for C patches

so i'm taking a stab at a Pd version.
When it's sufficiently tested i'll point to it.
The host setup for Pd is annoyingly tricky; the template tries to make it a 2-button-press process.

Soo ... i wonder if there are some testers about.

Here is the template repo I mentioned:

A test would be to clone this repo and follow the README steps to build the stand-in patch that's already there. Before you stab at it, take note of what the README says about supported/tested operating systems.
If you try it, lemme know.

One benefit i have found of using Pure Data with Terrarium is that i can route guitar signal straight into my computer and preview results without uploading a binary.
That saves a ton of time.
Maybe you could get that to work in the C workflow, but it doesn't seem trivial...

ps. that brings up the idea of a Virtual Terrarium tool that has all the knobs etc available in Pd on the computer ... hm ...

I can try and give it a shot! Not sure when I'll have the free time though. I'm working on a new demo feature for Dr. Scientist, and juggling between work and a newborn. 😅

I'm just starting to use Docker at work and I was wondering if going that way would be stupid or a nice way to help everybody getting their tiptoe in this pd world (alien to me).

Question for @Plate of Shrimp : for the guitar direct signal, do we need anything special for hardware (except audio interface obviously)?

I already got 3 Terrarium (and 2 others yet to build) and I still dream about the Paludarium :) :

1621094424533.png
Source: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/paludarium-platform-development.4862/

Back