Pythagoras - installed a DS18B20 instead of a 78L33 - did I fry my FV1?

Toy Sun

Crazy! - didn't have the voltage regulator (missed it on my part ordering) and was actually happy that I could give my local, Vetco Electronics the business (and they had the part, according to their website). Got the part, in person, by supplying the Vetco sku number. And only 69 cents.
Well, after installing it, my Pythagoras only delivers dry signal. Went to measure the voltage coming out of the regulator and it was very low. Checked the component and it's a DS18B20, which is a digital thermometer... https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ds18b20.pdf

I will return it (bought a few) and see if they have the actual part tomorrow, but wondering if I fried my FV1? Maybe someone has an idea?
Anyway, cautionary tale - I can't imagine not checking a component before installing, but the one time I do it... ouch!

Thanks,
John

Looks like the l78l33 is vout, ground, vin.

Your thermometer is gnd, data, vin.

I'd say it's extremely unlikely that you tried the fv-1 with this component. I can't imagine why the thermometer would have spontaniously generated a voltage on its ground terminal when voltage was applied across the data out and vin terminals. Your FV-1 likely survived this.

Back