Questions on powering your breadboard

Dan M

Do you power with a 9V battery or a wall adapter?

Is there concern of frying the adapter due to a short in the breadboard circuit?

I see the protoboard uses a polyswitch. I assume the purpose is to protect the power supply. Are they fast enough to prevent damage?

I tried googling and found two answers: 1) use a lab power supply with a quick blow fuse or 2) use a 9V battery.

Thank you,
Dan

Reactions: fig
Batteries are easy to attach. 9v wall power works too, but I would recommend using the entire power circuit as drawn in the schematic, as it will provide filtering and polarity protection…

If you don’t have the protoboard then a 9v battery with a battery snap will be just fine. Wall wart for the protoboard

Thanks guys.

Correct, I don’t have a protoboard. I was thinking about building a charge pump, filter, and polarity protection on a small perf board to feed the breadboard. Which led me to think about adding a fuse so I don’t have to mess with a battery.

That’s pretty much what the protoboard does in addition to in/out jacks and a bypass switch. Oh, and some terminal blocks for your pots

I'm pretty new to breadboarding and don't generally like the fiddliness of it all. After spending a good hour layout out the power section of a pedal build and then it not working, I decided to build a Runoffgroove power module on some project board. This is just reliable filtered 9v power and one less handful of components to clutter up an already cluttered breadboard. I think the very cool Protoboard accomplishes similar things.

InkedIpower_LI.jpg

I use a one-spot wall wart for power, but a battery seems like a very safe choice.

I'm pretty new to breadboarding and don't generally like the fiddliness of it all. After spending a good hour layout out the power section of a pedal build and then it not working, I decided to build a Runoffgroove power module on some project board. This is just reliable filtered 9v power and one less handful of components to clutter up an already cluttered breadboard. I think the very cool Protoboard accomplishes similar things.

View attachment 20117

I use a one-spot wall wart for power, but a battery seems like a very safe choice.
If you need help with a breadboard layout just ask. IMO it’s faster than soldering, but figuring the layout is key.

If you need help with a breadboard layout just ask. IMO it’s faster than soldering, but figuring the layout is key.
Thank you, very generous. I'm breadboarding a Paramixer while I wait for the slow boat to actually deliver the PCB just to kill time and maybe workout some possible mods to the circuit in advance. Haven't fully gotten into the breadboard mindset, but I am trying to be mindful enough to lay out the board in modules, or sections. It seems like a good way to begin to study a particular circuit.

Back