Reverb with Momentary Feedbacker?

farwest1

I'm curious if anyone has built (or if there's a PCB for) something similar to the "havoc" switch on the Caroline Meteore or the "feedback" switch on the Solidgold Counter Current?

I'd love to build a clean reverb that I can force into lo-fi feedback in some way.

Thoughts?

It would be pretty simple to add a monetary switch to the spatialist that maxes out the dwell knob. For some patches that can get pretty big.

if that sounds of interest to you, I can let you know the details. Mainly, you want to wire the switch to connect lug2-3 of the control 1 pot. But, you’ll also want a resistor (5kohm should work well) between lug 1 of the pot and ground (so trim that leg and don’t solder it to the board. This resistor will prevent shorting 3.3v to ground when the knob is at the lowest setting and you hit the switch. It will very slightly raise the minimum dwell level with the knob at minimum.

FWIW both the pedals you mention use the belton brick. Maybe you could do something similar to my first suggestion with the pedalpcb spirit box dwell control. Though at first glance it might be trickier to pull off with an spst momentary switch, and still have it work well With the dwell pot set low. That is, if you prefer the belton brick sound to fv-1 reverbs.

FWIW both the pedals you mention use the belton brick. Maybe you could do something similar to my first suggestion with the pedalpcb spirit box dwell control. Though at first glance it might be trickier to pull off with an spst momentary switch, and still have it work well With the dwell pot set low. That is, if you prefer the belton brick sound to fv-1 reverbs.
Yeah, I think you're right about the belton brick. Seems like the thing I've been searching for. The Reverberation Machine gets some of the same sounds.

But if I tried to mod the Spirit Box, would I need the 10-pin versus the 6-pin? PCB is for 6-pin? Is the Dwell control on the Spirit Box essentially a gain pot?

Last edited:
The spirit box dwell control feeds the reverb signal back in the pt2399 chip. So it still uses the 6 pin.

the 10 pin is quite nice, I’ve mentioned the 1776 rub-a-dub reverb deluxe as a nice simple iteration of the 10pin in other threads, and I think the reverb sound is smoother compared to the Rub-a-dub I built using the 6 pin. You could do something with that, but since the 10pin needs a dual pot for the dwell, you’d need a DpDt momentary stomp switch. So that’s an option too. In my experience, the rub-a-dub deluxe can get long reverb, not as long as the sparialist cavern patch though, so I’m not sure if it’d be enough for you. I haven’t built a ghost echo so I’m not sure how much Max dwell that gives either.

Thanks—great info! So is the Dwell knob on the Spirit Box the same as the distortion on the Reverberation Machine and other Belton brick delays? Meaning: can I get that beautiful saturation with the swell, or would I need to mod the circuit?

No I think the DBA Reverberation Machine & others you mentioned in your first post have additional circuits to create the distortion. The spirit box dwell knob will just increase the length of reverb. It may start to oscillate at extreme settings (I haven’t tried it, you could check some videos of the EQD), but that would be a different type of sound than the DBA

Thanks! Yeah, I think the key to me would be the distortion on the decay (either as a momentary feedback switch, or on a knob.) It's why I really like the DBA Reverberation machine and Solidgoldfx Counter Current. I have a Rubberneck delay that will add regen to the repeats, but it doesn't really add distortion.

Here's a gut shot of the Reverberation Machine. Seems like a relatively simple circuit, actually. I've never traced one before—maybe this could be my first.

Attachments

• Reverberation_Machinelq4GTPx.jpg
    Reverberation_Machinelq4GTPx.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 26
You’re in luck, there’s already a vero layout on the tagboard site! (Probably from a freestompboxes.org circuit trace).

Check out the vero build guide on that site. Be aware, keeping this build tidy will be a challenge with the offboard Belton brick wiring.

Looks like a winner for the OP, they even have a feedback stomp mod in the build docs.
Yeah that’s a super grear reverb from Fuzz dog with the deep dwell options for pots and caps. My favorite reverb so far.

Back