Rockstar with 3pdt Led brightness issue

Just finished the Rockstar using a 3pdt breakout board with LED brightness control. The pedal works fine and sounds great but I've probably made a new builder error on this breakout board. It does not light up. I put a 0 ohm resistor where the 4.7k would normally go on the main board. The breakout has a 2.2k resistor and a 10k trimpot. I guess it's possible I blew out the 5mm LED I soldered to it right off the bat. Or I just don't know what the hell I'm doing here. If nothing else I'm thinking I could replace that FS with a regular breakout board, put a 4.7k on the main board and run the LED off the main board as well, the way I usually do it. I've attached 2 pics and would appreciate any input as to what I might have done wrong here.

Also, in the first pick you'll see that I used alligator clips to run the power from my One Spot before committing to soldering in the power cxn while I troubleshoot. I noticed while playing that the 2 red 3mm LEDs (diodes) only light up when you are playing. In that first pick I strummed the guitar and took the pic while the notes rang out. Is that how this design is supposed to work? Obviously I'm still pretty new to the game here. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_8439.jpg
    IMG_8439.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8440.jpg
    IMG_8440.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 33
I've got a followup question in the meantime regarding resistor values for this LED breakout board. I like using the standard clear LED (not the super bright) but even that LED is just too bright. That's why I wanted to try this 3pdt board. So, was the 2.2k and a 10K trimpot a good resistor combo in general or what would you suggest?

Just so there's no confusion I did use a red LED for this build which is usually about the right amount of brightness with the 4.7k on the main board. My Rock Star build is housed in a Tayda metallic candy yellow box. I noticed MichaelW used red knobs with his build and it looks awesome so I went with the same combo.

I put the jumper on the main board LED pads as suggested. Still no luck. Then replaced the red 5mm LED on the brightness board, thinking I might have destroyed it. No luck. I must be too much of noob for this (stick with what you know) so I clipped FS out of the circuit and threw it in the trash. I went with my usual 3pdt setup (see pic) and put a 4.7k resistor back on the main board with a 5mm Red LED running down next to the switch. Destroyed a pad while replacing the 4.7k so I scratched off part of the track running to the anode of the resistor and soldered the resistor lead onto the track. Still no LED. Pedal works fine so that's really the most important part. Would still be open to any sort of approach to get this LED lit up.

Would also love to see just a real simple explanation on the site of how something like the LED brightness board works and for that matter a number of other parts and pieces. I've bought a bunch of boards here, absolutely love the layouts and the quality. But for a new builder like me (who does check the forum when I'm confused) the lack of documentation can be very discouraging. Sorry for the end rant. I'm still a big fan.

Attachments

• IMG_8442.jpg
    IMG_8442.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 14
Back