Saguaro Wah

blackhatboojum

I’ve already talked at great length about the mighty saguaro cactus before so, I’ll spare everyone that long winded story. What I will talk about, is how this particular build came to be. The truth is… I’m out of steam when it comes to this hobby. I’ve built over 50 pedals and successfully built some of the most complicated circuits available in the diy effects community. Having nothing left that I wanted to build or add to my collection, the only thing I could think of to push myself further was design and have a pcb made. That’s exactly what I’ve done with this build. Not knowing a damn thing about this sort of thing, I decided to start small and chose a simple circuit that I would actually use to teach myself pcb design software. A wah circuit is simple enough and because one of our fearless leaders, @bean makes his EAGLE library available for download, that was the direction I went. I gotta say, I’m pretty proud of myself for pulling off a working pcb having never messed with anything like this before. I say that but also, all credit really goes to Brian. I used his component library and essentially his Weener Wah layout in my pcb design. Yes, there are some differences but, it’s pretty obvious where I drew inspiration from. I even messaged him about this project idea because I didn’t feel right having the pcbs made without Brian’s blessing. Having received the go ahead, I had a handful of pcbs made and I’m quite pleased with the results. It’s nothing special or groundbreaking but, hot damn… I did a thing. As far as what the saguaro wah actually is… well, it’s just a hybrid of vox and Dunlop branded wah circuits. It has certain values of resistor and capacitors in certain places, that sound best to me for my amp and pedal board setup.

IMG_2492.jpeg
IMG_2505.jpeg

I’ve already talked at great length about the mighty saguaro cactus before so, I’ll spare everyone that long winded story. What I will talk about, is how this particular build came to be. The truth is… I’m out of steam when it comes to this hobby. I’ve built over 50 pedals and successfully built some of the most complicated circuits available in the diy effects community. Having nothing left that I wanted to build or add to my collection, the only thing I could think of to push myself further was design and have a pcb made. That’s exactly what I’ve done with this build. Not knowing a damn thing about this sort of thing, I decided to start small and chose a simple circuit that I would actually use to teach myself pcb design software. A wah circuit is simple enough and because one of our fearless leaders, @bean makes his EAGLE library available for download, that was the direction I went. I gotta say, I’m pretty proud of myself for pulling off a working pcb having never messed with anything like this before. I say that but also, all credit really goes to Brian. I used his component library and essentially his Weener Wah layout in my pcb design. Yes, there are some differences but, it’s pretty obvious where I drew inspiration from. I even messaged him about this project idea because I didn’t feel right having the pcbs made without Brian’s blessing. Having received the go ahead, I had a handful of pcbs made and I’m quite pleased with the results. It’s nothing special or groundbreaking but, hot damn… I did a thing. As far as what the saguaro wah actually is… well, it’s just a hybrid of vox and Dunlop branded wah circuits. It has certain values of resistor and capacitors in certain places, that sound best to me for my amp and pedal board setup.

View attachment 62236
View attachment 62237
Love the black and yellow wah enclosure! Black and gold or yellow is my favorite color combo

Beyond cool. Don't stop pushing. Your contribution to others here is invaluable. And your logo has to be the coolest in the biz! Always love seeing that.

IMG_9935.gif

I’m never really know what to do with a wah but they are fun , great job on the layout, first shot and it worked that’s a win for sure! It’s funny how every time you think we are done something else pops up.. and that green 🤌

Back