Same old stuff I guess

vigilante398

Authorized Vendor
86l2fm.jpg

I was hoping to have a tube tremolo project for everyone, but I built it up last night and I hate it. So until I can get you something else to play with, I had a couple requests for a Bassman preamp and something Kingsley, so I spun up Bassdude and King Nothing. These have been fully verified (knob directions and everything) and I just want to do a couple cosmetic changes before I order a bunch and make them available. I will get Tayda drill templates up for them when they are available for sale.

IMG_20231119_131617.jpg

IMG_20231119_131548.jpg

View attachment 60901

I was hoping to have a tube tremolo project for everyone, but I built it up last night and I hate it. So until I can get you something else to play with, I had a couple requests for a Bassman preamp and something Kingsley, so I spun up Bassdude and King Nothing. These have been fully verified (knob directions and everything) and I just want to do a couple cosmetic changes before I order a bunch and make them available. I will get Tayda drill templates up for them when they are available for sale.

View attachment 60903

View attachment 60904

Making me glad I haven't ordered my nobelium tubes yet. You're saving me shipping on what I assume are 2 12ax7 for the bassdude?

That is interesting, there is a trace with a 2N5458 but that might have changed. They are not that easy to get.

What was the tremolo based on? I can dig out an old Guyatone Flip Tube Tremolo for you to trace if you’re interested. Haven’t played in a long time but I used to love it.
Funny you mention the FLIP series.
This came in yesterday. Guyatone FLIP envelope filter.
eBay "not working, as is"
$55 gamble. Plugged the toob back in as it was dangling by a couple pins and fired right up. Sounds, well, funky on bass. These seem to be a rare dog in the FLIP series.
Wasn't on the bench long but hey. Take the easy ones when you can get them.

@vigilante398 or anyone else want to trace it before it's likely off to reverb or sent to the trade shelf? I think there are schematic scans out there already though.

View attachment 60926

I am sorry you hated the tremolo - and look forward to that in the future - but yahoo for a Bassman preamp and a Kingsley! 2 things I'm interested in!

My vote for tube tremolo still goes to Vox. The classic JMI AC30 tremolo or the standalone vibravox unit (from the 50s/60s— not the later pedal of the same name, though that’s rad too.

What was the tremolo based on? I can dig out an old Guyatone Flip Tube Tremolo for you to trace if you’re interested. Haven’t played in a long time but I used to love it.
The tremolo was Valvewizard's "universal tremolo", trying both the shared cathode (subtle to the point of not being audible) and the optical (super choppy but not fast enough for a decent helicopter) and didn't like either. I would definitely be down to do a trace of the Guyatone.
Funny you mention the FLIP series.
And I saw that tag but haven't been over there yet, I would definitely be interested to take a look at that one for a trace as well.

EDIT: looks like the FB-X schematic is floating around the webs, not seeing the tremolo though.

I built a vibracaster, which I really like. It’s a starved plate design, but I could definitely see some tweaks to use hv plates and even use tubes for the LFO rather than transistors. It’s a pretty classic bias based tremolo, and quite nice, I think.

Last edited:
Back