Sandspur Fuzz BC183

182julien44

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
PXL_20231021_165504366.jpg

This is probably my 20th fuzz face type circuit build and my first using BC183. I'm so happy with that build, here's how I got here:

So I have this old fuzz face type pedal built here in Montreal called the MJM London Fuzz. It was my first fuzz pedal and it, and always is, my baseline for a good Fuzz Face circuit. It is the GE Version with a Bias knob.

As I said, I've built about 20 FF type pedals and none were up to my London Fuzz. I would spend hours measuring, matching and auditing transistors and none of my pedals would sound «right». I tried many circuits here, Ge, Si, Tone bender Mk1.5, etc. Every pedals would sound good, even great but never had this thing my London Fuzz had. Every Ge builds would have a different clipping and mid content, BC108C were too high gain to my liking and BC109 had a je ne sais quoi «wrong».

Now that I think about it, I just remembered my London Fuzz was the reason I started building pedals. I remember opening it up, about 10 years ago, and saying to myself «Yeah, I can build that, it is so simple» and Lord was I wrong lol.

PXL_20231024_153953436.jpg

So now we are here, BC183 and I am so happy. It sounds different enough from my London Fuzz that I can justify owning both but it also behave the same way the London Fuzz does. It is the best of both worlds. It is another flavour of FF but does exactly what I want another flavour to do. It has more gain than the GE but it cleans up very nicely. The bias on my build is also more «powerful». It goes from full fuzz madness to a scratchy velcro like dying battery tone.

Overall, I'm really exited and Happy with this build.

PXL_20231021_164854752.jpg

I used a Gorva switch (my favorite 3PDT), I am trying neutrik stereo jacks and I reused an old enclosure from another FF build that that was laying around for years because a customer wanted a different design with the same circuit.

EDIT: I just noticed that I haven't soldered the LED on the board lol. Typical me lol, it happens more times that I would like to admit. I'll do it tonight!

Last edited:
Nice looking enclosure! RIP dinos. What's the thought behind the stereo jacks?

My favorite breadboard fuzz face was one running BC183Ls. I should really get that into an enclosure somehow...

Nice looking enclosure! RIP dinos. What's the thought behind the stereo jacks?

My favorite breadboard fuzz face was one running BC183Ls. I should really get that into an enclosure somehow...
Thank you and RIP Littlefoot!

I wanted a sturdier connection and it feels so. I also accidentally ordered stereo over mono...:censored::rolleyes:.

You absolutely should, it is my favorite FF build yet!

View attachment 59057

This is probably my 20th fuzz face type circuit build and my first using BC183. I'm so happy with that build, here's how I got here:

So I have this old fuzz face type pedal built here in Montreal called the MJM London Fuzz. It was my first fuzz pedal and it, and always is, my baseline for a good Fuzz Face circuit. It is the GE Version with a Bias knob.

As I said, I've built about 20 FF type pedals and none were up to my London Fuzz. I would spend hours measuring, matching and auditing transistors and none of my pedals would sound «right». I tried many circuits here, Ge, Si, Tone bender Mk1.5, etc. Every pedals would sound good, even great but never had this thing my London Fuzz had. Every Ge builds would have a different clipping and mid content, BC108C were too high gain to my liking and BC109 had a je ne sais quoi «wrong».

Now that I think about it, I just remembered my London Fuzz was the reason I started building pedals. I remember opening it up, about 10 years ago, and saying to myself «Yeah, I can build that, it is so simple» and Lord was I wrong lol.

View attachment 59060

So now we are here, BC183 and I am so happy. It sounds different enough from my London Fuzz that I can justify owning both but it also behave the same way the London Fuzz does. It is the best of both worlds. It is another flavour of FF but does exactly what I want another flavour to do. It has more gain than the GE but it cleans up very nicely. The bias on my build is also more «powerful». It goes from full fuzz madness to a scratchy velcro like dying battery tone.

Overall, I'm really exited and Happy with this build.

View attachment 59061

I used a Gorva switch (my favorite 3PDT), I am trying neutrik stereo jacks and I reused an old enclosure from another FF build that that was laying around for years because a customer wanted a different design with the same circuit.

EDIT: I just noticed that I haven't soldered the LED on the board lol. Typical me lol, it happens more times that I would like to admit. I'll do it tonight!
I've got this same project in my queue. I've built the BC108c version and recently got some NOS Telefunken BC183's to try. I'd also like to try some BC109's.

Thank you very much!!

Yes I did about 10 years ago. It basicaly was a fuzz face
I was revisiting the London Fuzz, and came across Fred Brigg's comment that it's too bassy for him.

I play bass so now I'm hooked, however...

There seems to be some confusion by commenters as to which is the input cap and output cap on his blog.

Briggs states "Cap values 0.047uF and 0.47uF, for input and output."
One would assume he means respectively. Yet most Fuzz Faces have a large input cap and smaller output cap (relative to each other).
Hence, I think, why the commenters asked for clarification, but he has not responded.

Would you be able to confirm which cap is which?

Thank you very much.

So for the earlier version, I'll go with 0µ047 and 0µ47 for in/out respectively.

Maybe I'll build this with toggles to go between the two settings, or a dual-gang with in/out cap-blenders on each gang, or... QUICK! ...

breadboard-bloke-jpeg.59359

Thank you very much.

So for the earlier version, I'll go with 0µ047 and 0µ47 for in/out respectively.

Maybe I'll build this with toggles to go between the two settings, or a dual-gang with in/out cap-blenders on each gang, or... QUICK! ...
Having a toggle that goes from the old to the newish (10 years ago lol) is a great idea! Please update me on your experiments 😇

Back