SeaShore Overdrive...fantastic!

I don't see why it wouldn't. If the 1N914 and D9E are facing the same direction (ie D9E back to front) then as Robert said the D9E would be clipping half the wave form while the 1N914 doesn't get to do a durned thang. Flip either diode around, just one, and you've got clipping on both sides of the wave form.

Or is that not what you're asking?

Ok, I popped out D4 and popped in a fresh 1N914 in reverse so that it's reversed from the D9E.

There's definitely a difference. Here's a before and after clip.

Note that I think it sounded pretty good the "wrong" way too, just different.
Also note, this more gain than I would normally use for this pedal just to exaggerate the differences.

Strat neck pickup.

Before (The wrong way)
After (The right way)

I dunno, I kinda like them both. The correct orientation definitely is more "Klon-ish". But I think what's cool about this pedal is that it's not an either/or choice but the Focus knob lets you pick the blend you want. I also think the star of this show is the transistor clipping as opposed to the diodes.

I liked them both, with a slight preference for the "wrong" way.

I'd like to hear that with red and green LEDs for some slightly asymmetrical clipping.
Well this little activity has gotten me thinking about building a second one with some different clipping options......:) Trying not to go down the "mods" rabbit hole that I tend to......

The Before wins it for me just because the Riff was Better, Cleaner, Less Distorted & Louder!!!
HAhaha, well I wasn't paying attention to the volume knob when I hit record the second time. I figured I'd just let it be.......

Does anyone know if it makes anuy difference regular polarized electrolytic caps are used instead of nonpolarized?

I have intstalled regular caps everything works. What a great pedal. But wondering why unpolarized caps are there anyway.
Lot's of control in this circuit I guess I need to build another one:cool:

Definitely my favorite low gain pedal right now, lots of great tones to be had just messing with the "focus" knob.

Back