Series Diodes: what gives?

drew.spriggs

Long story short, I am working on modifications for something and certain knob positions could leave me in a position where I've got a half-wave rectified signal. Logically, I'd expect it to clip half of the waveform off and reduce the other half by the diodes forward voltage, giving a very distorted signal.

Scoped with with a signal generator, and it's not even close to what I'm getting. Half my waveform is getting squished by the forward voltage of the diode (ie. perfect the top half, squished the bottom half by 0.3v (ish) for a Schottky). 1N4007 does the same thing, only minus half a volt or so.

Out of interest, I plugged this into a couple of patch leads and feeding my guitar through it, I get no practical change to the perceived sound of the guitar.

What gives?

What is the difference in p-p signal intensity from your PU vs. the signal generator?

Do you see the clipping with 1V p-p coming out of the the signal generator? Just thought it was acting like a fuzz when you roll off volume.
With a single diode, I see half the waveform squished by the forward voltage of the diode (using Schottkys), but it conducts in both directions

Have you tried increasing the signal generator signal to match the bigger signal you'd get from the guitar pickups?

Back
Top Bottom