Seyfoam Overdrive IC Replacement

sshort86

I just ordered a PCB for the Seyfoam Overdrive (Seymour Duncan 805), only to discover that the MC33178 op amp is only currently available in smd form (something that should probably be noted on the PCB page to save people the trouble I'm having). Does anyone know of a suitable replacement that is readily available or have an extra MC33178 they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable price?

You can get an adapter to convert the SMD to DIP 8, listed under Utilities
Does it matter that the adapter is for SO 8 and the MC33178 chip I found is SOIC 8? I'm clearly not a circuit wizard. I'm more of a solder by number kinda guy lol.

I just ordered a PCB for the Seyfoam Overdrive (Seymour Duncan 805), only to discover that the MC33178 op amp is only currently available in smd form (something that should probably be noted on the PCB page to save people the trouble I'm having). Does anyone know of a suitable replacement that is readily available or have an extra MC33178 they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable price?
I'll also add...I've never actually used the OG 805 pedal, so I'm not exactly hell bent on having a perfect clone. I mean, part tolerances alone can be responsible for variations in sound to a degree. That being said, what audible effects will different op amps have in this type of application? What am I looking for in a replacement? Slew rate, operating voltage, etc? And what can I expect to hear given variations in these factors? Again, I am a total noob, so be gentle. Explain like I'm a 5 year old with exceptional reading comprehension. 🤣

I'll also add...I've never actually used the OG 805 pedal, so I'm not exactly hell bent on having a perfect clone. I mean, part tolerances alone can be responsible for variations in sound to a degree. That being said, what audible effects will different op amps have in this type of application? What am I looking for in a replacement? Slew rate, operating voltage, etc? And what can I expect to hear given variations in these factors? Again, I am a total noob, so be gentle. Explain like I'm a 5 year old with exceptional reading comprehension. 🤣
Put a Socket in and audition a few,

4558 would be closest I think (similar slew rate). But you could try any opamp you have on hand, including 4580, tl072, lm833 etc.

4558 would be closest I think (similar slew rate). But you could try any opamp you have on hand, including 4580, tl072, lm833 etc.
This is the kind of answer I was looking for! I don't have any on hand, but I was building a cart and had a TL072 and a NE5532 added based on another post I saw. It also mentioned OPA2134, but that one's like $7 for one IC, which is more than I'm willing to spend on a single part to audition. I'll add a 4558 to round out the selection, though. Thank you!

Back