Sheepmaster

szukalski

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This isn’t particularly special, but it is my first PCB so here we go..

A Red Rooster / Chickenhead clone built for cheap-o Russian PNP Ge transistors. Nothing amazing here, just following the RG Keen approach to migrate from NPN.

It was also my first faceplate attempt. I’m fairly happy with the result , better than vinyl stickers at least and I like how the LED lens fits well.

With the breakout having the CLR, I had to bypass the PCB one, I think I’ll avoid this altogether in future designs. Less parts on the PCB..

Sound wise.. it is a Rangemaster with a range knob. If you don’t have one, build one and enjoy the restriction of going direct into it.

9D7A5F6B-032C-48C8-90A1-4E73F67C03CE.jpeg
F7DE6947-3D5E-405E-B897-CBF481318E9F.jpeg

Nice work! Is the faceplate a PCB as well? What fab made them for you, and do you have any tips for making faceplates in general as PCBs?
This was JLCPCB. This was my first run so I am not sure that I have much to add in the way of tips. @bowanderror had the best tips I found around these parts.

What comes to the top of mind is:
  • Use free fonts. I really like Font Monkey's stuff, but there are a bunch of people making free fonts. This springs up as useful as well.
  • You have two sides. You can use this to make two designs for the same board, different designs for different boards. Then think about where the LED is once it's flipped.
  • Think about board thickness. I went for 1mm and it worked pretty well.

Back