Simplest relay bypass possible - no microcontroller

I've had a similar experience to a few others on this thread: I've tried several other relay switching solutions (from vero builds to store-bought kits) and haven't liked any of them...until I tried the PedalPCB version.

Not quite sure what's different about it, but it performs better than any of the half-dozen others I've tried.

I've had a similar experience to a few others on this thread: I've tried several other relay switching solutions (from vero builds to store-bought kits) and haven't liked any of them...until I tried the PedalPCB version.

Not quite sure what's different about it, but it performs better than any of the half-dozen others I've tried.
Thanks for the input. PedalPCB is quality I don’t doubt it and I may end up biting the bullet at some point and replace simple 3PDT switches with those

Took a little longer than expected, but two versions are on the way.

This one uses a standard non-latching mini relay.
(Higher power consumption, but less expensive)

This one uses a latching mini relay.
(More expensive, but less power consumption)

Yep, both are 555 based. I considered a CMOS flip-flop but the 555 is easier to find and a little cheaper.

TQ2-L-5V for the latching version. ($4.08 from Mouser)

A-4.5W-K for the non-latching version. ($1.60 from Tayda)

Just to clarify, both of these modules behave exactly the same. They both "latch" when you press the footswitch... neither are momentary, you just have the option of latching or non-latching relays.

Ideally I wanted one PCB that could use either type of relay, but there are some special considerations with the latching version and in order to keep the size similar to the Intelligent module I just decided to split them into separate modules.

Awesome! It’s nice to have these options in addition to the intelligent relay module. I’ll be getting some of these for sure!

If I understand correctly, only the power consumption differs between the latching and non-latching version ? Is it significant ? (I begin in pedal making ^^)

If I understand correctly, only the power consumption differs between the latching and non-latching version ? Is it significant ? (I begin in pedal making ^^)

That's correct. The non-latching version uses a cheaper relay and a few less components, but functionality is the same.

Latching relays only draw current during the instant that they are changing state, once they latch (or unlatch) they don't consume any power.

Non-latching relays consume power the entire time they are active.

Yep, both are 555 based. I considered a CMOS flip-flop but the 555 is easier to find and a little cheaper.

TQ2-L-5V for the latching version. ($4.08 from Mouser)

A-4.5W-K for the non-latching version. ($1.60 from Tayda)

Just to clarify, both of these modules behave exactly the same. They both "latch" when you press the footswitch... neither are momentary, you just have the option of latching or non-latching relays.

Ideally I wanted one PCB that could use either type of relay, but there are some special considerations with the latching version and in order to keep the size similar to the Intelligent module I just decided to split them into separate modules.
Probably a dummy question about relays (and obviously with cheapie-skate undertones): I was looking at the DPDT relays at Tayda, and most have 8 pins, though the relay referenced seems to have 10. Is there a difference? Also, will the relay used need to be 4.5VDC, or is there some variance allowed? Relays are a whole new thing for me, I've only ever used or understood mechanical switching...

The 10 pin relays are considerably smaller and the pinout is different.

You could use a 4.5V or 5V relay, anything above that might be pushing it.

Hi, I just placed an order and included a non-latching relay in with it, I see the build docs aren't up yet, but do you happen to have a parts list for it? Wanna make sure i get everything in my tayda order :)

Back