Simulcast AND duocast

Oh shoot I almost forgot another part of this tale. When I set out to build the duocast, no one was selling the tall 1590bb, so I bought a stupid Gørva, already having a bias against them. It showed up and I thought it was even stupider than I thought. Later, I got a tall BB from stompbox parts or something and sprayed it hammered grey. Then later yet, I bought the tall dark grey BB shown above with the aborted silver foil, before finally settling on the frog and toad theme and getting the cream one.

The knobs I had initially picked out would have hung over the face bevel on the stupid Gørva and looked like trash and we can't have that. That stupid Gørva will be making an appearance in a build report fairly soon though

The knobs I had initially picked out would have hung over the face bevel on the stupid Gørva and looked like trash and we can't have that. That stupid Gørva will be making an appearance in a build report fairly soon though
I built something with a gorva awhile back and took photos of the knob skirt and edge slope just for you. I need to get around to posting it.

Mate, those are simply perfect. Really inspiring as a builder to see something so beautiful.

Definitely a candidate for BOTY23!

Love the x-casters, such an overlooked pedal by some. Mine doesn’t get much further than a low mode with a slight growl but what a growl!

Ok, I started working on these two years ago but they're finally done. And WOW I love these! I first heard the Hudson broadcast on probably TPS several years ago and loved it. It's unusual for me to be wowed by a pedal demo and then want it.

I had initially built the first revision of the simulcast but it squealed. @Robert very graciously made a revision AND sent me one. What a guy! I stripped that first board and put all* the components on this one as detailed here. The newer revision is much much nicer to build and everything fits well without putting caps on the back of the board. Ultimately, I left the charge pump out on the simulcast because I want the fuzzier blown out end of things on this one, and I'll mostly use the duocast at 27v.

As for the duocast, it has been sitting populated on the back corner of my desk for over a year. I had been in a particularly foul mood one day while working on it and broke a trace on the voltage switch, which was easily fixed with a jumper. The duocast also has a green/red bi-color LED for the gain switching. Also shout-out to @Phil hodson and his troubleshooting thread early on thinking he borked his duocast build but really he didn't understand what the right footswitch was doing 😂 Phil's come a long way in his skills 😀

No sockets are installed in either build; I soldered the GT402Bs directly to each board. I did audition some other transistors, but I removed the sockets before final assembly. At some point, maybe even last summer, @blackhatboojum supplied me with the 330uf caps I forgot i needed. Clinton is a solid dude.

It seems like folks around here either really like or really don't like the -cast builds. I'm absolutely in love with them.

These are the last pedals I plan on doing with Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad on them. As with my Pot and Kettle build, I drew the art myself in inkscape from reference in the Lobel book. My daughter is really into Frog and Toad, and is excited to see them on my pedals. I had completely different designs for these initially, and even made some decals but ended up scraping them. The simulcast design had the gain switch improperly labeled. I had done a silver foil decal for the duocast but it didn't show well on a dark grey enclosure like I had hoped, and the foil itself didn't come out great. I'm much happier with the Frog and Toad theme.
View attachment 46499View attachment 46500View attachment 46501View attachment 46502View attachment 46503View attachment 46504View attachment 46505View attachment 46506

Here are a couple pics of the old revisions I did for the decals
View attachment 46507View attachment 46508

Bi-color LED demonstration
Absolutely epic...

Love everything about these builds.

I'm still not sure what I think about their place on my board but that is mainly because I've been building so damn many boards.
and Still waiting for the duo cast mini... grr....

Mate, those are simply perfect. Really inspiring as a builder to see something so beautiful.

Definitely a candidate for BOTY23!

Love the x-casters, such an overlooked pedal by some. Mine doesn’t get much further than a low mode with a slight growl but what a growl!
Thank you Dave. I'm hoping I'll have something else much better for BOTY but the thought hadn't even crossed my mind yet.

One of the things I like about these is the range of sounds I can get out of them. They're all good to me!
Absolutely epic...

Love everything about these builds.

I'm still not sure what I think about their place on my board but that is mainly because I've been building so damn many boards.
and Still waiting for the duo cast mini... grr....
I'm not sure about placement either. That's next on my agenda to fart around with. I'm almost certain both of them are going on my board though so that gives me more options. Maybe we need a tricast @Robert?
@Guardians of the analog Hey Chris,

make room in the Pantheon of Greats for Klippton...
😳😳😳

I'm not sure about placement either. That's next on my agenda to fart around with. I'm almost certain both of them are going on my board though so that gives me more options. Maybe we need a tricast @Robert?
Tricast is a great idea!
... this is Will's build report and his amazing work
Damn straight.

Great pedal and Fuzz-Frog & Tone-Toad theme that's been extremely well-executed.

I totally missed these, they are fantastic! I love frog and toad, they are some of my favorite books to read to the kids (I never read them before having kids). I just realized that you draw these by hand in Inkscape?!? Is that right? That makes this even more impressive! Very very inspiring stuff.

Back