Simulcast AND duocast

Harry Klippton

Ok, I started working on these two years ago but they're finally done. And WOW I love these! I first heard the Hudson broadcast on probably TPS several years ago and loved it. It's unusual for me to be wowed by a pedal demo and then want it.

I had initially built the first revision of the simulcast but it squealed. @Robert very graciously made a revision AND sent me one. What a guy! I stripped that first board and put all* the components on this one as detailed here. The newer revision is much much nicer to build and everything fits well without putting caps on the back of the board. Ultimately, I left the charge pump out on the simulcast because I want the fuzzier blown out end of things on this one, and I'll mostly use the duocast at 27v.

As for the duocast, it has been sitting populated on the back corner of my desk for over a year. I had been in a particularly foul mood one day while working on it and broke a trace on the voltage switch, which was easily fixed with a jumper. The duocast also has a green/red bi-color LED for the gain switching. Also shout-out to @Phil hodson and his troubleshooting thread early on thinking he borked his duocast build but really he didn't understand what the right footswitch was doing 😂 Phil's come a long way in his skills 😀

No sockets are installed in either build; I soldered the GT402Bs directly to each board. I did audition some other transistors, but I removed the sockets before final assembly. At some point, maybe even last summer, @blackhatboojum supplied me with the 330uf caps I forgot i needed. Clinton is a solid dude.

It seems like folks around here either really like or really don't like the -cast builds. I'm absolutely in love with them.

These are the last pedals I plan on doing with Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad on them. As with my Pot and Kettle build, I drew the art myself in inkscape from reference in the Lobel book. My daughter is really into Frog and Toad, and is excited to see them on my pedals. I had completely different designs for these initially, and even made some decals but ended up scraping them. The simulcast design had the gain switch improperly labeled. I had done a silver foil decal for the duocast but it didn't show well on a dark grey enclosure like I had hoped, and the foil itself didn't come out great. I'm much happier with the Frog and Toad theme.
IMG_20230418_150449133~2.jpg IMG_20230418_150600370~2.jpg IMG_20230418_150627494~2.jpg IMG_20230415_153130938~2.jpg IMG_20230417_235158509.jpg IMG_20230418_145926683~2.jpg IMG_20230418_150153027.jpg IMG_20230418_143315372~2.jpg

Here are a couple pics of the old revisions I did for the decals
Screenshot_20230418-151338-997.png Screenshot_20230418-151211-292.png

Bi-color LED demonstration

It's been quite a journey, but you got there. Great direction with the artwork too!
Thanks. I was never quite happy with the early art I did for these anyway
Well damn these are beautiful! Your color choice is top notch! Love everything about them! You sir are one of my fave builders! Keep it up always love seeing your work!
Thanks Steve! All I did was use the color palette from the books
Man, I love the art series!
Thanks Jimi
These are great! I love how much time and thought you put into them. And It definitely shows in the cohesive theme. And the led mod is well executed. I can’t wait to hear more than just the foot switch click……

View attachment 46509
🤣
I intend to make a demo later. I like the pedals too much not to. I have a busy week and I'm glad I squeezed in the build report. Don't expect much though 😂
These turned out amazing. Ol' Frog and Toad always make me happy.
Thanks, me too. Some days we're frog, and other days we're toad. Today is a toad kind of day

@Harry Klippton haha!
“Also shout-out to @Phil hodson and his troubleshooting thread early on thinking he borked his duocast build but really he didn't understand what the right footswitch was doing 😂 Phil's come a long way in his skills 😀

I wouldn’t say that long but inching slowly along 🤣

Cracking builds you finished. I’m glad I could help with my stupidity. Love the artwork.

I much prefer mine at 27v. Sounds much grittier.

They both look awesome. I'm in the same boat. The Simulcast and Duocast have been sitting on the bench for well over a year half finished. I finally finished the Simulcast this weekend and should have the Duo done tomorrow. So far I'm digging the Simulcast a lot.

What hfe is the transistor you used? I tried something low, medium and high and while they all had their own vibe I settled on one at 79 hfe. It seems that's around the ballpark people are using. I'm not sure if leakage matters.

They both look awesome. I'm in the same boat. The Simulcast and Duocast have been sitting on the bench for well over a year half finished. I finally finished the Simulcast this weekend and should have the Duo done tomorrow. So far I'm digging the Simulcast a lot.

What hfe is the transistor you used? I tried something low, medium and high and while they all had their own vibe I settled on one at 79 hfe. It seems that's around the ballpark people are using. I'm not sure if leakage matters.
I don't recall exactly but one was in the 80s and the other in the 90s I think. I tried some RCAs I had but they seemed really unstable and made the pedal oscillate really bad
@Harry Klippton haha!
“Also shout-out to @Phil hodson and his troubleshooting thread early on thinking he borked his duocast build but really he didn't understand what the right footswitch was doing 😂 Phil's come a long way in his skills 😀

I wouldn’t say that long but inching slowly along 🤣

Cracking builds you finished. I’m glad I could help with my stupidity. Love the artwork.

I much prefer mine at 27v. Sounds much grittier.
I like the crispiness of the 27v setting but I like the super blown out 9v sounds with the low cut all the way CCW

I don't recall exactly but one was in the 80s and the other in the 90s I think. I tried some RCAs I had but they seemed really unstable and made the pedal oscillate really bad
Cool that's about where i landed too. Yeah they higher gain transistors did make the pedal oscillate and whine.

Back