Simulcast/Broadcast Silicon Mod?

As far as my understanding goes, that transformer is doing essentially nothing aside from lookin' cool. I've read a few comments scattered around from folks who've built it with the transformer on a switch and can't hear much of a difference with it in and out of the circuit.

As far as my understanding goes, that transformer is doing essentially nothing aside from lookin' cool. I've read a few comments scattered around from folks who've built it with the transformer on a switch and can't hear much of a difference with it in and out of the circuit.
Yeah, that's what I've read too. Seems like snake oil. They're pretty expensive as well. Neve seems to really swear by transformers though, so maybe that's why it was included in the original design.

The transformers in actual transformer-coupled mixing consoles are absolutely doing important things and (can) have a big effect on the sound; those units are also using much larger, higher quality iron running at much higher voltages. But yeah, just putting an audio signal that's already pretty distorted through a teeny 1:1 transformer seems like it isn't going to do much of anything. Maybe some bandpass filtering?

The transformers in actual transformer-coupled mixing consoles are absolutely doing important things and (can) have a big effect on the sound; those units are also using much larger, higher quality iron running at much higher voltages. But yeah, just putting an audio signal that's already pretty distorted through a teeny 1:1 transformer seems like it isn't going to do much of anything. Maybe some bandpass filtering?
True. What I was wondering: Hudson advertises a different transformer in their Broadcast AP model. However, they seem to be identical in impedances and ratio. So I am led to believe that the biggest difference between the two circuits is the use of a silicon transistor instead of the OC71.

FYI: I now tried out several different transistors in both positions. As a silicon replacement for the OC71, the only PNP silicon transistor I found working consistently was the 2N4033. For the NPN silicon one, I found several BC-type silicon transistors passable. The ones that had the most useable sounds were the BC107A and the BC547A/B/C. However, I think many others would work well too. The best sound was achieved by using a 2N4033 and the stock BC549C though. Next step will be trying to get a treble trimpot in that thing.

In any instance I have also heard that the transformer doesn't do much except drive up the price and the hype. I also know someone who is putting out a transformer less all silicon dual version in a 125b for those so inclined to be patient.
Yes. It feels like it does basically nothing.

You guys are all correct. The transformer is for mojo points. A $1 part that makes the guitarist think there is magic inside the box.

There was a thread on DIYSB about transformer saturation, and a few guys much smarter than myself made convincing arguments that transformer saturation does occur at very high current levels, but there is no guarantee it even sound good!

I wondered if that transformer actually did anything when I built my Broadcast. Sounds like it was a waste of $10.

What's with the filtering? Why use a string of 10µF caps separated by resistors? I'm not being snarky! I just don't know why you would do that, and there is probably a very good reason of which I am unaware.

Back