smd scream machine

I think he was asking what size they actually are lol I myself am curious what size is needed for the SMD components on the scream machine. Ive been thinking about building an all SMD circuit!

Resistors and non-polar caps are 0805, transistors are SOT-23, IC is SOIC-8, diodes are SOD80, electrolytics are hybrid and can fit from 4*4.3 mm to 6.3*6.6mm.

I built the prototype with everything from Tayda Electronics.

I think he was asking what size they actually are lol I myself am curious what size is needed for the SMD components on the scream machine. Ive been thinking about building an all SMD circuit!

Lol, I was just about to edit what I wrote after I thought about it. I just got that board myself and have that list put together.

Lol, I was just about to edit what I wrote after I thought about it. I just got that board myself and have that list put together.
Oh thats going to be fun! Ive been wanting to put together an SMD build. Im very interested in the overall performance and see how much quieter an SMD circuit is.

Curious... What type of iron and what solder wire size do you guys use for SMD? I use a Metcal, really thin solder (around 0.5mm, whatever that is in US retrounits) and either a magnifying glass lamp, stereo microscope, or magnifying goggles. And lots of light.

I used a Hakko FX-888 for years but now have a couple Pace ADS-200E stations.

One is dedicated to desoldering tweezers because it was too time consuming to switch back and forth when removing / measuring SMD components. The other is a standard iron with an assortment of tips.

I have a big spool of thin solder that I use for any fine SMD soldering, not sure what size (the roll has no markings) but it's thin.

I usually don't bother with any sort of magnifier while soldering because it gets in the way but I have a few different pairs of reading glasses that I use if things get rough.

So I want to be clear here and say im not an expert lol but i use regular .8mm solder and i have very fine point solder tip. Ive only soldered FV1 chips and have been successful with SMD transistors on this fashion. Now id imagine you have an edge with the magnifying goggles but i just use ALOT of light. The one thing i could use is thinner solder.

I bought a 1lb roll of really thin one maybe 10 years ago and it's still going strong. Some times I think it's endless and it will outlive me 🤔 SMD just uses a lot less solder than through hole.
Thats good to know! I believe you i bought 1lb solder roll last year around July and its still going. And trust me im constantly re tinning my tip literally almost after every joint haha

Back
Top Bottom