Solder fume extractor

The soldering station from JBC is the best tool I've ever bought but the best fume extractor adapter for this thing is 1/3 of the price of the station.
And I would need the suction pump and filter which costs as much as a huge box full of pedals...
Look at this, the best invention with the worst price (50€/$55)

I have this extractor but it's not powerfull enough...
1709755618644.jpeg

I use one of these usb fan vents and I mount it on a microphone boom stand so it is about 6” directly above where I am soldering. I also bought a longer 3” hose and run it to the closest window. The fumes rise into the fan assisted by the suction and right out the window.

Check out the Ikea Förnunftig Air filter. It‘s relatively cheap compared to traditional fume extractors, has a pretty big active carbon filter + hepa. New filters are only 18 euros and it‘s power is quite decent at level 3

IMG_5613.jpeg

check out my video on reddit below

If you dont like to use the filters, someone created a 3d printed adapter for a 100 fume extraction hose for it

another one

Last edited:
Check out the Ikea Förnunftig Air filter. It‘s relatively cheap compared to traditional fume extractors, has a pretty big active carbon filter + hepa. New filters are only 18 euros and it‘s power is quite decent at level 3

View attachment 70538

check out my video on reddit below

If you dont like to use the filters, someone created a 3d printed adapter for a 100 fume extraction hose for it

another one

I fucking hate Ikea, to put it very mildly, but this fugly fan/filter I would buy.

So, back to ye olde soldering fume extractor. No matter how I place this sucker there's still too much goes straight up. It occurred to me that it would be easy to get a heavy steel base and a couple 16" long flex tubes (from eBay), a couple of brackets to fabricate and I should be all set to have my solder fume extractor OVER the soldering!!!! Ouuu..... I just had an idea. I can put LED's into the shroud to give me more light at the same time.

Ok! So a few more details to work out.

I did the same search "flex tubing" on AliExpress and all I got was sex toys, resistors and guitars. wtf?? :ROFLMAO:

Flex Stand Solder fume extractor project.JPEG

I also posted this in 'on the workbench'

Maybe the right solution is adapting a low-priced (or used) range hood fan (e.g., like for over a stove) to be placed over your workbench - either with a run of hose to the outside or maybe just to a HEPA filter. Hmmm...

Maybe the right solution is adapting a low-priced (or used) range hood fan (e.g., like for over a stove) to be placed over your workbench - either with a run of hose to the outside or maybe just to a HEPA filter. Hmmm...
Due to a shipping error and a poorly trained customer service department, I have a 4' long 1200cfm stainless steel Zline hood. I had ordered the 38"....

But my workshop still needs the roof repaired, which is scheduled for this summer. In the meantime......(oh that's weird, TV said "In the meantime" a quarter second after I typed it).... I can use my flex tubing....

I scavenged the sheet metal off my dryer when it died in the 90's. Any time I need to fabricate anything I just go out with my 19,000 rpm mini circular saw and cut off what I need. I just have to drill a couple holes in these and put it in the vise and make angle brackets out of them, and I can hook one end to the fan shroud, the other to the flex tubing.

I found some G10 epoxy board that is 12" x 18". This was from a batch that I got that was too thick for circuit board turrets. It was supposed to be 1/8" but was 3/16". Got my money back when the guy wouldn't respond to "not as described" so it'll make a free base. I can put the flex tubes on one end, and the panavise will fit on top of it.

The weight of the extractor will hold the base from moving.

Schwing!

IMG_1866.JPEG

Back