SOLVED: Diptrace noob. Help, please....

Right-click the component, go to Properties / Markings tab.

Make sure you're right clicking the component, not one of it's pads. There is a difference.

Component is highlighted (outline turns blue)
View attachment 46545

Pad is highlighted (pad turns red)
View attachment 46546
Bingo! You da man! Once this passes my sanity check (probably tomorrow with fresh eyes) I need to figure out how to get this into a "Gerber" file to send to a PCB manufacture. Any suggestions for best bang for my buck?

I'd go with JLCPCB or Elecrow for a small batch.

A lot of folks prefer OSHPark... I've never heard anything bad about them but never used them myself.

It's telling DipTrace how to name the files for each layer of your layout when it exports the Gerber files for you.

Silkscreen, copper, solder mask, board outline, drill holes, etc.

The default settings might work, but years ago they did not so I've always set these manually.

Last edited:
Looking forward to how it comes out!
Me too. This is more of a test run than anything else. The "goal" is to make something with my designs, but I'd rather keep it simple for now. Not happy about the $22 shipping for $2 worth of PCBs, but what the heck. Anyone know if I can combine multiple orders to get the same shipping?

Not sure with JLCPCB I’ve ordered from them once. What I would do is make a couple designs and add them to the cart and see if there’s some kind of discount that automatically gets calculated in. The new circuit board I ordered is from OshPark. Definitely more expensive but the shipping is not as bad. As a matter of fact I could’ve gotten free shipping I believe that was an option.

Not sure with JLCPCB I’ve ordered from them once. What I would do is make a couple designs and add them to the cart and see if there’s some kind of discount that automatically gets calculated in. The new circuit board I ordered is from OshPark. Definitely more expensive but the shipping is not as bad. As a matter of fact I could’ve gotten free shipping I believe that was an option.
Yea. There was a much cheaper option for shipping but the wait time will be weeks, not days. I’m a cheap ass, but I’m not broke. My wife and I budget our money so we get x amount each to spend on whatever we want each month. The rest of our income goes to boring, adult stuff

Makes sense to me! I just blow through money as soon as I get it 😃

Yeah I can’t wait that long I’d rather pay the money and have them here in days rather than weeks! The good thing is there’s are minimum of 5 boards. It costs 22 something for only 3 boards at OshPark. I had to get double the order (3 board increments).

The difference in cost is dramatic so I’m hoping the quality is top notch which I’ve been reading supposed to be. We’ll see!

I haven't had to play with the Gerber files settings past default for the boards I've had built starting this year from JLCPCB. Maybe I'm including superfluous information but it's working.

You can include multiple designs into an order to maximise on shipping, for sure.

The rest of our income goes to boring, adult stuff
That's a lot of money on "adult" stuff.

Just came in today. A stupid simple Electra distortion just to see if I CAN do my own PCB. I’ll whip this up most likely tomorrow and report back.

Part list for my own reference:
C1 100n
C2 100n
R1 1M
R2 470k
R3 47k
R4 10k
R5 1k
R6 390r
R100 1k
TRIM 10k
D1/D2 to taste
VOL A100k

Attachments

• 6217DE3A-F635-4DA6-A3C1-1A178FFB0872.jpeg
    6217DE3A-F635-4DA6-A3C1-1A178FFB0872.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hol(e)y rusted metal, Batman! She works! An electra distortion as laid out by BuddytheReow. Always a good feeling when it works the first time. I didn't want to sacrifice (although I could just pull it out) a pot for my next build, so I put in a B100k with a D-shaped shaft (stupid puchase from last year). This does surprisingly ok on bass with 100n caps in there. I also threw some fake 1n34a's I had on hand that needed a home. Overall a successful "first". I think I may do a more in depth writeup on my circuit design thread since it's been a while since it got any love.

Edit: I didn't realize until after I took the pic that I never put in a DC filter cap. Eh. Oh well.

1682611630559.png

Last edited:
JLCPCB order was 5 minimum, which means I have 4 left. I'll keep one more board, which leaves 3 left for whoever wants one. Just message me.

Back