(SOLVED) Help w/ Carbon Black Fuzz

SurfaceDweller

I'm working on a PedalPCB carbon black fuzz, and I screwed up the wiring somewhere. The pedal doesn't pass sound, even when bypassed, and when it is engaged there is a rhythmic "thumping" in time with the LED on my wall wart. The LED on the pedal doesn't light.

I've omitted the "top" control pot from the circuit and replaced it with a jumper. The circuit has a 2n222 in q1, and 2n222a for q2 and q3.

This is my 4th pedal build, and my first time using a breakout PCB for the foot switch. I own a cheap DMM but I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot the circuit. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20240820_210411.jpg
    20240820_210411.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240820_210437.jpg
    20240820_210437.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 38
You can't. The most resistance you'll get by putting two resistors in parallel is the resistance of the lesser of the two.

You can change the taper though. Lowering the resistance shouldn't have that much (if any) impact on the volume output--the volume pot is just acting as a voltage divider, regardless of its size.
Ah, I see (I think).

So what is a good ballpark resistor value for an A100K pot to change the taper so that the volume increases more gradually? And how do I measure the curve?

I was scratching my head trying to figure out how I would desolder 3 prongs simultaneously.

A bit long winded but this guy shows you a good method using wire and braid to desolder multi pin components

He also shows you how to make DIY solder braid

And a couple of calculations to change pot values

Last edited:
Back