sour grape fuzz

"compare to keely rotten apple"
wondering if the sour grape is too sour...i have zero sustain at any setting...super glitchy with fast decay...based on the big muff op amp circuit..and compared to the keely rotten apple...but dont sound anything like either one of those...not necessarily a bad thing, just not the sound i was looking for...no cream ehatsoever...just hard abrupt crunch...is this normal for this circuit?

Those waterclear LED's have a forward voltage around 3.3v, they are not suited for Clipping.
The Build list 3mm Red which are Diffused (Red Lens) around 2.1v.
That would be the first thing to try!

What color are the LEDs? Color determines the forward voltage, not whether the lens is clear or diffused. Use red LEDs; size and lens finish does not matter.

Have you double-checked all of the component values? Do you have a DMM?

BTW, the LEDs will light up with BUZZ dimed.

What color are the LEDs? Color determines the forward voltage, not whether the lens is clear or diffused. Use red LEDs; size and lens finish does not matter.

Have you double-checked all of the component values? Do you have a DMM?

BTW, the LEDs will light up with BUZZ dimed.
they are red....yes, i use a DMM and a component tester on every individual part before i install

Measure the voltage on pins 1, 7, 8 & 14 of the IC. Should all be close to +4.5V.

It's hard to tell from the pix, the LEDs are facing opposite directions, correct?

Last edited:
also..when you say the leds come on when the buzz pot is dimed, do you mean w/o a signal? cause they come on and decay with the guitar signal, but the do not come on when there is no signal, regardless of pot level
I meant when you play with BUZZ dimed, the LEDs will light up and then dim when the guitar signal decays. The two LEDs should be dark with little or no guitar signal present.

all pins stated above are 4.5+/- EXCEPT pin 14, which is 8V????
Pins 1, 7 & 8 tell us the IC bias point is ok, but something is wrong with pin 14. Check the voltage on pins 12 & 13. Make sure the IC is fully seated in the socket and no leads are tucked under. Maybe a bad solder joint on C16. You can tell better that we can. Bend the TONE pot up and inspect the solder joints under that too.

Those waterclear LED's have a forward voltage around 3.3v, they are not suited for Clipping.
The Build list 3mm Red which are Diffused (Red Lens) around 2.1v.
That would be the first thing to try!
Just woke up , 7.00am in Western Australia!
A rule of Thumb is to purchase Diffused led's so you know what Colour & Voltage you are getting for Clipping purposes!

voltage set to same setting as pin 12=4.2V, pin 13=1.2V....as far as solder joints go...they look good, as far as i can tell...C16 looks fine as well....not sure why pin 14 has a 8V...i just built the super hetrodine as well and total shit...loud scraping noise non stop all the controls work, but cant really heer it over the loud noise....im pretty good at soldering and fairly careful about using correct values, never in a hurry and i dont get stoned...so not sure whats going on..but this has been my luck with these for a while..its total hit and miss...sometimes just seems better to buy the original so the excitement to try something new is actually realized...😢

Back
Top Bottom