Special K

DAJE

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I made a Speaker Cranker a while back and liked it, but felt it was a bit limited.

This one is much more useful. Plenty of variety, cleans up well with the guitar volume knob, responsive to dynamics.

The silicon diodes are louder and have a touch more bite, the Germanium diodes are warmer but have plenty of crunch in them too.

Easy build. I got a good deal on some Soviet D9Ks recently so that's what's in there.

Violet LED that's more of a light blue, used a 1K resistor.

Attachments

• SK3.jpg
    SK3.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 70
  • SK2.jpg
    SK2.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 70
  • SK1.jpg
    SK1.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 73
Well done, I start this build tomorrow! It looks like those knobs fit! Where’d did you source them? I wanted to put mini “chicken heads” on my upcoming build, but feared they would still be too large with the switch centered.

Well done, I start this build tomorrow! It looks like those knobs fit! Where’d did you source them? I wanted to put mini “chicken heads” on my upcoming build, but feared they would still be too large with the switch centered.
AliExpress, that's where most of my knobs come from.
Here's a few links to sellers I've bought from:

These mini-chickees fit pedals well, I haven't had a problem with them bumping into other controls the way larger ones do. They need split spline pots, though, they won't fit on solid ones and there's no set screw.

I recently got some mini-chickenhead knobs with set-screws in brass inserts from Antique Electronics online. (tubesandmore.com)

They have some cool knobs, man...

These are the ones you'd want if you're shopping at Tayda:

Or these at Tubes and More:

They're 23mm nose to tail and fit on 2, 3, and 4 knob PedalPCB layouts without issue

I really liked mixing red led with GE diodes with low fV below 400mV. Led gives a singing quality and tight lows germanium high end sizzle
Liked this a lot more than original diodes. Switch is not soldered :cool:
1666764493179.png

Last edited:
I love the Special K I built but I always seem to need to crank the tone knob all the way up. Anyone else notice this?

Back