Spirit Box no output when engaged

metalguy55

I recently completed the Spirit Box and the signal comes through when dry but not wet and the led does not turn on. Kinda hard to see behind the reverb module though. Anything obvious you guys can see?

Attachments

• signal-2020-07-14-214206_0044.jpg
    signal-2020-07-14-214206_0044.jpg
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 60
  • signal-2020-07-14-214206_0022222.jpg
    signal-2020-07-14-214206_0022222.jpg
    932.3 KB · Views: 60
Use lots isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to remove flux, that will do a much better job and won't leave any residue or debris.

Some of your component leads look far too long. It's possible that some of these are touching under the belton brick and shorting somewhere. Cut these down to clean them up.

There seems to be some scorching around the pads on the belton brick. You may have your iron on there for too long, or it might be too hot. This can damage the pads.

Lugs on your 3PDT board look like they could probably use a bit more solder. There are a few poor solder joints throughout the board, I'd recommend reflowing some of these, particularly on your pots, I/O jack ground leads, and dc leads.

I can also see quite a few scratches on the board, including over some traces and may have damaged them.

Use lots isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to remove flux, that will do a much better job and won't leave any residue or debris.

Some of your component leads look far too long. It's possible that some of these are touching under the belton brick and shorting somewhere. Cut these down to clean them up.

There seems to be some scorching around the pads on the belton brick. You may have your iron on there for too long, or it might be too hot. This can damage the pads.

Lugs on your 3PDT board look like they could probably use a bit more solder. There are a few poor solder joints throughout the board, I'd recommend reflowing some of these, particularly on your pots, I/O jack ground leads, and dc leads.

I can also see quite a few scratches on the board, including over some traces and may have damaged them.

Those scratches along the belson brick are from trying to use the solder wick to get it out but it wouldn't budge.

Thanks for the tips. I trimmed those leads, added more solder to my 3dpt switch, and reversed the led. I was looking at the old led configuration so I did have it backwards. Now the led works and I have signal when the pedal is engaged and disengaged but no effects. Going to troubleshoot further now.

Attachments

• signal-2020-07-15-124011_001111111.jpg
    signal-2020-07-15-124011_001111111.jpg
    982.5 KB · Views: 30
  • signal-2020-07-15-124011_00333333.jpg
    signal-2020-07-15-124011_00333333.jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 28
the audio probe will let you easily find out if your signal level is too low coming out of the delay chip before it hits the belton brick, or if it the level is OK until it leaves the brick.

It only took a year and a half to come back to this pedal but hey better late than never!

I got an audio probe and the results were interesting. Here is a short video. I can hear audio from the outputs of the pt2399 chip but its quiet.

Back