DEMO "stereo" echoflangingpolychorus xl (Lectric FX Dandy Horse)

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
For some reason I'm constantly getting asked lately if I can make the Stereo PolyChorus, despite it being a different circuit from the OG, and whoever asking primarily wanting to get the RFUS intro sound. I don't get it, and I don't care to

Anyway, with this one I decided whatevs, and took up this commission. I've immplemented a faux stereo output, with a similar scheme to that found in the reissue (one side of the FX signal out of phase with the other). I also added a buffered dry output similar the OG, a feedback path inversion, a delay clock cap doubler, and a parallel expression input for the Tune pot.

All of these mods involve basically just hacking a few extra buffers onto the board- The input is sent to a Kliche buffer, which is split between the FX send and dry out, while the "stereo" out and feedback inverter both utilize the
Parasit Simple Buffer and Inverter, with the stereo out using the output of each op-amp for its widening effect, and the feedback inverter using the toggle for its action.

The feedback inverter is inserted between lug 2 of the FDBK pot and R32. The only change to that is an increased feedback resistor in the inverting stage from 10 to 11k

The clk cap doubler is just an additional 22p switched into the C43 spot/ parallel to C42

I wanted to ensure I had enough room for all the added jacks and four extra boards, so I used a Hammond 1590X, which is 2.2" deep, but otherwise shares dimensions with the XX. Used my standard white ink on classic matte black, with the Tayda knockoffs of the Brutalist / Contempo knobs. I was feeling saucy, so I tried to use as many Motorola chips as I could, with the LT being the only TI part. Think the BA4560s are Rohms

Had to use the C45 slot for a 47p to get the clock frequencies in range, but otherwise calibration was fairly easy considering. The hardest bit was setting the volume to balance with the bypassed signal

1000025072.jpg 1000025074.jpg 1000025075.jpg 1000025073.jpg 1000025070.jpg

I need to borrow another mic, but I should be able to get a demo tomorrow

Here's a direct to board recording -

Last edited:
Wow. I did not expect that to be the sought after sound (Nirvana - Radio Friendly Unit Shifter) LOL. Different strokes.....

Sounds and looks fantastic! This one has been on my build list forever. Definitely gonna do that inverter mod when I do. Good stuff!

Wow. I did not expect that to be the sought after sound (Nirvana - Radio Friendly Unit Shifter) LOL. Different strokes.....
Yeah, I mean it's cool in that song, but I really don't get the why THAT'S the reason they want a PolyChorus 🤣🤣
Though, to be fair- when I was a kid, I was obsessed with the phaser on Curmudgeon

Sounds and looks fantastic! This one has been on my build list forever. Definitely gonna do that inverter mod when I do. Good stuff!

Thanks! The feedback inversion is pretty fun. Stole the basic idea from the A/DA Flanger, which is another rad BBD modulator that I'd recommend looking into

Amazing build and even more amazerballz crammage!

Looks very neat & tidy given the amount of moddage you manipulated into the 1590X.
Compare to one of your older builds:

1000018557-jpg.62711

I think this jet-woosher "'stereo' echoflangingpolychorus xl" fed into a hard-chop fast trem would sound superballistic.

I gotta build this...

Amazing build !

I sold mine and i kind of think about building it again. I traded it for 10 or 12 white wine bottles... it was good but a bit foolish, i should have asked for more.

Unfortunately this project became much more expensive. It was around 80 euros for a full kit 3 or 4 years ago, now it's around 120 euros at musikding.
Probably the biggest increase in price of the whole website.

I'm still going to do it, and i'll also try this Feedback mod. Thanks for sharing it !

Edit : I wonder if you considered using a stereo jack and a Y cable for your stereo operation ? It could probably be possible to have a mono output using that same stereo jack with a mono cable, and it would save some space ?

i just discovered this set up in Schalltechnik_04 Omnilooper : https://schalltechnik04.de/en/instructions/omnilooper

Oh, and what about adding a send/return fx loop to your Dandy Horse with the extra jack, now that you have a stereo jack for your Mono/Stereo output ?

Wouldn't it be interesting to have a delay or/and a fuzz interacting internally with the circuit, just before the feedback or the BBD section ? It's often seen in Lovetone modulation circuits for example, and it opens lots of new possibilities.

Last edited:
Amazing build !

I sold mine and i kind of think about building it again. I traded it for 10 or 12 white wine bottles... it was good but a bit foolish, i should have asked for more.

Unfortunately this project became much more expensive. It was around 80 euros for a full kit 3 or 4 years ago, now it's around 120 euros at musikding.
Probably the biggest increase in price of the whole website.

I'm still going to do it, and i'll also try this Feedback mod. Thanks for sharing it !

Edit : I wonder if you considered using a stereo jack and a Y cable for your stereo operation ? It could probably be possible to have a mono output using that same stereo jack with a mono cable, and it would save some space ?

i just discovered this set up in Schalltechnik_04 Omnilooper : https://schalltechnik04.de/en/instructions/omnilooper

Oh, and what about adding a send/return fx loop to your Dandy Horse with the extra jack, now that you have a stereo jack for your Mono/Stereo output ?

Wouldn't it be interesting to have a delay or/and a fuzz interacting internally with the circuit, just before the feedback or the BBD section, for example ? It's often seen in Lovetone modulation circuits for example, and it opens lots of new possibilities.

Thanks!

If I were to do this again, I'd probably go with the stereo jack. This customer was adamant about having separate jacks for all outputs, though.

I've toyed with FX loop in the feedback path with this circuit and others, and I like it. It is kinda finicky as far as gains go, and which mode it's in

Back