Storage/organize IC's

pcb rookie

I have figured storage and organizing all my electronic components except for IC's. Anyone interested in sharing how you store them? Will help me and might also help others!

Thanks!

Reactions: fig
Are antistatic foam or bags necessary? I just bought one of those bins too and I have caps and resistors in small antistatic bags, but I ran out of small bags… can I just puy them in the bins without condoms?

Reviving this old thread. I read that some people use antistatic bags for transistors as well. I think that may be overkill, what do you guys think?

Anti-static bags aren't overkill for MOSFETs.

The amount of static here is really bad, I get shocked every time I close the car door and nearly every time I kiss my wife — I was thinking of starting a thread about how people deal with anti-static measures, I'm sure my simple grounded wrist-band is barely adequate.

What about JFET or BJT? I have these large antistatic bags from mouser that won’t fit in any of my storage solutions and I would love to get rid of them. Or just buy tiny ones if needed. On that note, the pink Tayda bags are probably not antistatic? I have tons of them.

I've not had trouble with static for JFET or BJT, BUT according to everything I've read they can be susceptible to ESD.

I've zapped a few MOSFETs even being careful with my wrist-band. I'm thinking of getting an anti-static floor-mat &/or one for the bench — the static here (Western GWN) is insane compared to how little I had to deal with it in Hong Kong.

PS: I love when reports (like in the first link) post "This Page Intentionally Left Blank" — well once you put that explanation on it, it's not blank. 🤪

Damn I’m gonna have to get some tiny bags then! The static is not that bad here on the east coast but I don’t want to chance it.

I started monitoring the humidity in my workspace over the winter and as a result I’ve switched to using the DIP plastic tubes that places like Digikey and Mouser ship in for ICs. I was very surprised by how low humidity it was, and how little I physically felt the difference between normal and more likely to result in static.

Newark, if I recall correctly, had huge lengths of them. I just cut them to fit into my drawers. Everything else but passives go into Tayda style anti-static additive bags. If they’re ICs I try to use the good black ESD foam. In a perfect world they’d go into the ones with shielding but they just aren’t flexible enough to be useful for storage outside of smaller ones for things like FV-1s.

Back