Stuff you wanted to know but were afraid to ask

Why do I see some builds use a single stereo (TRS) jack for a mono pedal? I assume this has to do with grounding but can't the seem thing be achieved with a mono jack?

Why do I see some builds use a single stereo (TRS) jack for a mono pedal? I assume this has to do with grounding but can't the seem thing be achieved with a mono jack?
Can totally be chalked up to what’s available either in personal stash or at the vendors. Less likely the pedal has a battery option and the ring of the TRS connects the power supply ground when the cable is inserted. Helps save on battery life
Edit: if this is in addition to the standard in/out jacks, then the pedal might have expression pedal capabilities

They cost the same or close enough for me that I usually get stereo jacks because I find they grab more securely with the additional contact.

Most delays seem to repeat "one note" why not 3? Why not the last 15 second of what you played?
The EHX 16-Second Delay can do all that. Nels Cline uses one.

31f20831a462a06df52b8b1250cc5134.jpg

I believe Robert Fripp used one (or two) with the later version of Frippertronics too…
He owned the original two-footswitch “16 Second Digital Delay”
The 3-footswitch one is a pseudo-reissue that only has 1000ms of true delay or 16 seconds of plain looping capability.
There’s also not really evidence that he actually ever used one. EHX marketed the og 16 second digital delay as “a Fripp in a box” without any authorization from him, so he requested they give him one for free. They refused, so he bought one, but it never appeared in his live rig. When he moved away from revox tape machines for frippertronics he started using a pair of TC electronics rackmount digital delays. I don’t recall what he initially started using for soundscapes, but it was also a pair of rackmount units.

So many unanswered questions?! I generally solder components on the other side of the board. Am I doing it wrong? I'm starting to question if I'm breathing right at this point 🧐
Come to think of it, I can answer your question...at least in the case of one melty cap..my own...

No pot legs in sight! However, I had to re-direct the input wire to the other side of the enclosure and this cap was fairly close (though admittedly not so close it deserved the torture I unleashed upon it) to the wire pad. There's a pic over on my "what's fig destroying this week" (aka Stuff thread..).

Avoidable? Certainly! Apocalyptic? Hardly....but I try not to sweat the small stuff (y)

Here’s a serious one: when using SMD components (4 J201, for example) that have already been attached to adapter boards, should/can I keep the boards attached to each other and install them in one row on the PCB? Or should I separate them?…
Depends on where you got them.....see my "Fingers" Build report.....ugh.....found out the hard way. (Note, with the Aion adapters, separate them and don't let them touch.......)

Was gonna post a question just like this, logged on and the perfect thread is at the top.

How do I tell which IC pins are which on this schematic?

Another one - I'm not seeing 15v anywhere, including where the schematic says 15v. Curious if that's a problem with my build or with my reading of this.

Attachments

• The Scream SPS.png
    The Scream SPS.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 21
  • The Scream SPS.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Was gonna post a question just like this, logged on and the perfect thread is at the top.

Another one - I'm not seeing 15v anywhere, including where the schematic says 15v. Curious if that's a problem with my build or with my reading of this.
The VFE schematics are pretty barebones. There’s no indication of pin numbering on that schem. The 15v line (I believe) comes from the SPS daughterboard with the jacks, switching, and charge pump. It’s and input to the circuit.

I usually compare the data sheet to the drawing. Vcc and GND, the input (inverting and non-inverting or +/-) and output.

For pins you should just refer to the chip's data sheet, it will show you which pins are ins, outs, and powers.

For 15V I assume that it assumes you're using a 15V power supply, because there's no charge pump in the circuit. This circuit should work just fine at 9V, or you could use an external pcb with a charge pump to increase the voltage in (or if you have a pedal power supply that lets you increase voltage you could use that ).

Back