Stuff

Harvest time...which gives me an idea !

0KhWixQ.jpg

Guys, I gotta tell you, I bought the EXACT same strippers, the yellow Amazon set, and they were terrible! Incidentally, I got em for the same thing, stripping ribbon cable,and it would just maul the ends of the wires. The plastic jaws were warped slightly. And no amount of adjustment would work. Single wires could be stripped, just had to hold it in the right place in the blades. I admit, mine could be a rare case, but it just seemed like crummy QA..

Reactions: fig
Guys, I gotta tell you, I bought the EXACT same strippers, the yellow Amazon set, and they were terrible! Incidentally, I got em for the same thing, stripping ribbon cable,and it would just maul the ends of the wires. The plastic jaws were warped slightly. And no amount of adjustment would work. Single wires could be stripped, just had to hold it in the right place in the blades. I admit, mine could be a rare case, but it just seemed like crummy QA..

Thank you! I had them a total of 30 min. and a just few cuts. Were you able to find a good reliable pair or method ?

Edit: Maybe IDC connectors would be the way to go. I’ll try to source some for this application. (y)

Last edited:
I don't have any ribbon cable to try them on, but find stripping several pieces of wire at the time to do well with it

Without strain relief, they seem to be an issue waiting to happen (but take it with a cold beer or grain of salt…maybe a margarita?). I did see some FFC as short as 2” and some 90º pcb mount FFC slip-in adapters but that seems a bit overkill.

Let us know how the strippers fare please Giovanni.

[facepalm] See? I should have been memorizing that board layout...you guys think of everything!

Quiet, I'm testing through-hole J201s that were only guaranteed for 30 minutes, so it takes concentration.

The "quiet" part was a joke...the 30 minute warranty wasn't. :oops:

I wouldn't expect any guarantee on an NOS part.

How many to test in 30 minutes though?

10 in 30 minutes?
No sweat!

100 in 30 minutes?
Probably doable, but yikes!

1000 in 30 minutes?
Aww man! Trouble’s a brewing! 😥😥😥

• Haha
Back