Stuff

Finished up the Valvecaster, but left out the tone control because I could. Sounds nice @12v (y)

EuCQFc0.jpg

Now build it into something a bit meatier with a trem or vibe circuit, and yes a tone stage :rolleyes:. We may need some help from an opamp and optocoupler. I’ve got a ton of each so :dmm:

One more detail…..We’re gonna need a bigger breadboard.

It was too easy not to feed 9v to #1 filament on one channel and adjust the voltage on the the plates using the other. I cranked it to 30vdc and it does pretty nicely, considering it’s basically a light bulb. I could just up the tolerances on the caps and go for broke (which I will) but I want more than just louder. I also want to have a few tube circuits I can use with my pedal psu, so I’ll get enough juice to them plates using magic, or diodes….maybe magic diodes…charge pump? nah..too many woes.

They are handy. Especially if you count to 9 like me. I'd redesign the breadboard bit to only consume a single column. I just hate perfing perf.

I should also mention the extreme usefulness when trying out tubes...and in my case a tube tester until mine arrives. I just move the jumper wires around to match the pinout, and adjust the filament voltage to 6 or 12. I'll admit, my swapping prowess is less than 100%..I missed one and happened to see the wattage climbing on the filament channel. I caught it before the ceiling I had set for that channel, but still...eeeeek.

Welp, the “tube tester” arrived. It does a pass/fail test on the filament, that’s it. It’s a cool test unit though, an analog multimeter to be precise. Leaks are easy enough to catch, as is red-plating so a test circuit..aka preamp / power amp would be seemingly more useful. I could buy a used amp for this, or build one. I’d like to be able to check / audition as many types as feasible. Circuit suggestions are welcomed. Once I’ve chosen the circuit, I can pick up the required transformers and small parts.

Me too please!!!
Coming your way (if not already)…I am also sending you a ribbon cable stripper I tested. It will do up to 5-wire with a single squeeze. The tweezers I tried do well with hookup wire, but poorly on the ribbon cable. The soldering blade did better but again, not as good as the stripper but well on hookup wire.

Coming your way (if not already)…I am also sending you a ribbon cable stripper I tested. It will do up to 5-wire with a single squeeze. The tweezers I tried do well with hookup wire, but poorly on the ribbon cable. The soldering blade did better but again, not as good as the stripper but well on hookup wire.
How about a link to that stripper?

You are too kind sir! How can I repay you?

Back