DEMO super duper UberFuzz

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
The latest vintage circuit in my most recent Fuzzventure. Not the first FY-6 I've built, it's among my favorites, but this one has a few bells and maybe a whistle or two.

First up, I put the Tone toggle on a footswitch, and gave each voicing it's own set of Expand and Balance pots. I also put a footswitch in place to kill the octave up feature, allowing for some pretty sweet overdrive tones

My other tweaks are fairly minor -
  • Reduced R22 to 10k
  • Increased C12 to 10n
  • Diodes replaced with red LEDs
Mods were really just to better balance the two voicings for smoother on the fly switching, and the LEDs were used to increase the overall volume, and with how compressed the signal is stock diodes were kinda unnecessary

Used a set of NOS 2SC1921s (tallboys), and tantalums throughout. Box is one of those older Bud EconoBoxes I recently procured. Decided to try my hand with some Posca pens, and think I did a pretty okay job. LEDs are kinda hard to see, but bypass is pink, octave is purple, and voice is red/ white bicolor

1000024849.jpg 1000024843.jpg

Nastiness awaits -

As always, the board was awesome and a breeze to populate. If you like nasties, I highly recommend this one

Last edited:
You brought this circuit to my radar
if you need any more convincing 😜

Super Fuzz has always been one of my favorites. At some point, I wanna do a parallel Super Fuzz / Foxx Tone Machine 🤤
dank 🤙🏻 how would you blend them?

maybe even with parallel / series switching capability and individual blend controls, that’d be alright 😁

i’ve been thinking about doing a similar thing, but can’t figure out what would pair well..

if you need any more convincing 😜

dank 🤙🏻 how would you blend them?

maybe even with parallel / series switching capability and individual blend controls, that’d be alright 😁

i’ve been thinking about doing a similar thing, but can’t figure out what would pair well..

I'd just go parallel. Stacking octave fuzzes is nasty bidness

Maybe throw a Shocktave in for good measure

Sweet Altoids box! Yeah I’m gonna breadboard this one soon, that tone is crazy good 🤘
cheers 🤙🏻
i just picked the lowest gain 3904s i could find (matching Q4+Q5 for the octave) & a pair of 4148s

(i’m not sure how important it is, but supposedly it’s ideal to go for lower gain range, like ~200 or less if ya can)

@DGWVI did you end up measuring the 2SC1921s in this build?

cheers 🤙🏻
i just picked the lowest gain 3904s i could find (matching Q4+Q5 for the octave) & a pair of 4148s

(i’m not sure how important it is, but supposedly it’s ideal to go for lower gain range, like ~200 or less if ya can)

@DGWVI did you end up measuring the 2SC1921s in this build?

I didn't measure, but I did audition a few sets of different 2SC series transistors. Didn't notice a huge difference between these and some 1815s, but 945s were quite a bit splattier

Back