Super heterodyne receiver issue

Dazoner

Hi. Does anyone have the voltage measurements for the IC's. I have this awful high pitch squealing that I'm having a hard time tracking down. Thanks.

I think the squealing us coming from the oscillator side of the circuit. I can't confirm as there's no schematic for me to verify exactly which components.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

High pitched squealing could be caused by quite a few different things. Isn’t there an opamp in this (tl072?), maybe try swapping it first and even checking orientation of all ic’s and electros. Or you can possibly use an audio probe if you think you know where the squealing is coming from and want to confirm.
I haven’t built this but I believe it’s a data corrupter type thing? If so, it seems like it might be a pretty big ask to get someone to post the hundred or so ic measurements you’re requesting. You should post all of yours for people to take a look at them to try and help.

Hi. Does anyone have the voltage measurements for the IC's. I have this awful high pitch squealing that I'm having a hard time tracking down. Thanks.

Hello,
I am experiencing exactly the same issue as you.
I have to turn down the Oscilator Pot, otherwise it is impossible to use the pedal with this "high pitch" sound, which take-off with the first note played.

I changed all the IC one by one, testing the result, and I am still having the same "high pitch",
I noticed that when the CD4046 is removed the pitch is gone.
All the electro. caps are in the right polarity and all the ICs, T072 included, are in the right position.

Any suggestions about what to try next, please?

Thank you,

Hello,
I am experiencing exactly the same issue as you.
I have to turn down the Oscilator Pot, otherwise it is impossible to use the pedal with this "high pitch" sound, which take-off with the first note played.

I changed all the IC one by one, testing the result, and I am still having the same "high pitch",
I noticed that when the CD4046 is removed the pitch is gone.
All the electro. caps are in the right polarity and all the ICs, T072 included, are in the right position.

Any suggestions about what to try next, please?

Thank you,

Hi,

I can't speak for Xixaro. But I tried to build two of these pedals and neither are working properly. I tried subbing all the IC's between them and no changes.
As for the dpdt switch, I got mine from Small Bear. I'm not at home right now but I can check the switches again for proper functionality, but I'm pretty sure I've gone over everything 3 times already.

Let me know is there's anything you'd like me to check.

I have built two of the supers and one mini with no issues. I don't think you can get the proper toggle switch from Tayda. It has to be Smallbear or Mouser.

Well,
thank you for your replies.
That may help indeed.
In Europe there are little chances to procure items from smallbear or mouser, therefore tayda and musikding remain the main suppliers.

General picture for switches position alignments:

Notice that in the picture above, the "DPDT on-on-on 1" is actually the smallbear "DPDT on-on-on, solder term" - named "type 2" by pedalpcb.

The smallbear "DPDT on-on-on, solder term":
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/dpdt-on-on-on-solder-term/

and the same applies to the lovemyswitches "DPDT on-on-on":
https://lovemyswitches.com/taiway-dpdt-on-on-on-switch-solder-lug-long-shaft/

This induces some confusion about what is "type 1" and "type 2" positions, as for instance when you procure the the "DPDT on-on-on" from Tayda and/or Musikding they sell a "type 2" which is actually not the "type 2" pcbpedal is mentioning.

Therefore,
the right alignment for the "Super Heterodyne Receiver" pedal, when the toggle is in centre position, shall be the following,
as per what is written in the "PedalPCB-SuperHeterodyneReceiver-BOM.pdf" file, named "DPDT on-on-on type2":

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Musikding this switch is named "type 1"
https://www.musikding.de/Toggleswitch-DP3T-ON-ON-ON-Type-1

At Tayda they only sell a "DPDT on-on-on" that is tagged "MTS-2", I guess that "2" stands for "type 2". This switch has the following alignment when the toggle is in centre position:

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1562483866600.jpeg
    1562483866600.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 1562484882875.png
    1562484882875.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hello,

I have more information to share with you.

I have removed my "DPDT on-on-on" from the pcb. This makes the high pitch to vanish, indeed.

My "DPDT on-on-on" has the following centre alignment, which actually does not match the one required in the BOM,

Now,
I have installed the very same "DPDT on-on-on" on the top side of the pcb, as in the picture here below. Before, the swich was installed, welded, on the pcb bottom side, of course.
Any guess about what happens then?
IMG_20190707_094750.jpg

R. : the noise, high pitch tone, is back!
Hence, it seems the issue is not fully related with the switch being "type 1" or "type 2".

Would you please share, when available, the pcb circuit diagram?

Thank you.

aside from the noise that you are trying to isolate, did the pedal operation change after you mounted the dpdt switch on the other side of the board?

I’m also having an issue with the oscillator creating a high pitched note, was it ever discovered whether the issue was related to the switch? Trying the check the Taiway part number with Banzai but will try and order one from Love My Switches if it turned out to be the cause.

An update on my issue; I heard back from Banzai who informed me the part number for the switch I've used is M305DX-NI (Nickel), a quick Google only turned up scant results but that part number was listed on a Russian site with this diagram:
Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 10.41.50.png
This would appear to follow the correct switching type as detailed earlier in the thread, could the high pitched tone I'm getting be related to something else? I've ordered the exact switch from Love My Switches so will swap that out anyway as a matter of course but just concerned it may not be the answer.

The only other issue I can describe is that I initially had ordered and installed a CD74HC4046AE (it was the only 4046 Banzai had in stock at the time) which was causing some strange clicking noise when turning up the Oscillator, once I realised my error I replaced it with the CD4046BE but this is when the high pitched note issue was introduced.

I've checked the usual orientation stuff, ICs, electro caps etc but am fairly certain everything is as it should be on that front. Will check again just to be sure though.

Could really use some input on this one if any one can help?

Back
Top Bottom