Super Heterodyne Reciever build

DailyDovetails

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This is a Super Heterodyne Reciever I have been working on. The extra foot switch on this basically switches between 2 voices which are controlled by the extra pots and switches. I have to give credit to DGWVI for his help and recommendation on the mods for this. This thread between him and I talks about the various mods https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/super-heterodyne-layout.20094/ .

I think this pedal is interesting. When everything is set right and your playing is clean this thing can play some pretty awesome synth lead stuff. When everything is not set right or your playing is sloppy it can be pretty unmanageable. When switching between the voices depending on how far apart things are set it can kind of take on a mind of its own, with bloops, beeps, laser sounds, bizarre overtones ect. It’s actually a pretty fun pedal.

1705363314638.jpeg
1705363335449.jpeg
1705363401004.jpeg

The layout on this took me an embarrassingly long time and I fell down a rabbit hole with knobs until I got the pointer knobs how I liked them. Also there is a typo but at this point I’m going to live with it and move onto the next build. This was wired entirely with brown wiring for no other reason that I thought it might look cool. You pretty much can’t see any of it now but there is a solid nest of brown wire under the board.

This turned out RAD! Enclosure is pretty tasty, but those pointer and the 8 pointed star knobs are 🤌
Would love to hear the Wild & Mild in action

This turned out RAD! Enclosure is pretty tasty, but those pointer and the 8 pointed star knobs are 🤌
Would love to hear the Wild & Mild in action
I haven't done any pedal demos yet but if I'm playing and I get something interesting out of it I will put something together. Thank you for the kind words and help on this project.

I haven't done any pedal demos yet but if I'm playing and I get something interesting out of it I will put something together. Thank you for the kind words and help on this project.
If you get the itch, and want to reign in the tracking some, you can increase C7 to about 33n, and add another cap from the junction of R10 / IC4.1 to ground. I usually settle for between 15n-33n.

The C7 swap does darken up the Square voice a smidge, but it's a pleasant sponginess and goes well with the shrill higher voices

Nice work! I have very mixed emotions about this pedal after building it myself. Does yours by chance tick when the Oscillator is turned up? I noted this problem a while back and others have said the same thing (including on the actual EQD pedal), so I'm curious.

Nice work! I have very mixed emotions about this pedal after building it myself. Does yours by chance tick when the Oscillator is turned up? I noted this problem a while back and others have said the same thing (including on the actual EQD pedal), so I'm curious.
I do notice some ticking with mine but I think it is more with the subharmonic than the oscillator. It seems like it is somewhat in tune with the notes so it doesn't really bother me. The biggest issue I have with it is that it seems to be very sensitive about what is fed into it. If you go too loud there is a lot a crackling crunching noises with any muting I do to the strings but if you go quiet the tracking kind of sucks. I was thinking I might like it with some side chaining maybe a noise gate, not sure if anyone does a side chained compressor but that could be cool also, that way you could pick up some of the dynamics at the front of the chain and then add them after the SHR. I think side chained envelop filters like the Meatball could sound cool here also.

Looks amazing! Makes me want to use my 3-D Printer more!

Just a thought… couldn’t you 3-D print your own black washers for the 3PDT’s?
Thank you! I think it goes along with the pedal building well. I like that it allows me to have cheap access to custom parts.

1705472813250.jpeg

Yes definitely. I think I’m going to work on making a spacer that goes under the 3PDT rather than adjusting the nut on the backside also.

Back