SOLVED Switches too tall?

giovanni

I am working on a Super Heterodyne Receiver buid and I found that the rotary switches are not as tall as the other switches (dpdt and spdt). This didn’t happen to me with other builds, eg, the Conqueror Supreme, so I wonder if the switches I got are somehow too tall or if I made some other mistake. Did anybody run into anything like this? I’m thinking about putting some washers on the rotary switches in the inside of the enclosure so that every fits together snugly, but I am open to ideas. Thank you!

I am working on a Super Heterodyne Receiver buid and I found that the rotary switches are not as tall as the other switches (dpdt and spdt). This didn’t happen to me with other builds, eg, the Conqueror Supreme, so I wonder if the switches I got are somehow too tall or if I made some other mistake. Did anybody run into anything like this? I’m thinking about putting some washers on the rotary switches in the inside of the enclosure so that every fits together snugly, but I am open to ideas. Thank you!

I was just putting one of these together it was really close, but I was able to get the nuts to just catch on the rotary switches and tighten up enough to be good. I bought the rotary switches from pedalpcb and the toggles were from Tayda and Smallbear. Everything was mounted flush to the board. I did however end up leaving the lock washer off of the center toggle since it felt like that one was hitting the enclosure first and making it harder to get the rotaries to catch.

Robert

I was just putting one of these together it was really close, but I was able to get the nuts to just catch on the rotary switches and tighten up enough to be good. I bought the rotary switches from pedalpcb and the toggles were from Tayda and Smallbear. Everything was mounted flush to the board. I did however end up leaving the lock washer off of the center toggle since it felt like that one was hitting the enclosure first and making it harder to get the rotaries to catch.

Robert
Remove Tab as Stickman393 suggested!!!
MiniRotaryTab.jpg
I tend to loosely mount the front components onto the enclosure before soldering them. That way you have some up and down wriggle before soldering them in place.
As PJS has suggested ABOVE, I do the same, Those long legs on the Rotary pot are there for a reason!
Not every Pot or Toggle Switch is the exact same height.
I always use a Nut, No Washer at the Base of toggle switches!
Stops the threaded piece from snapping off the Toggle base if nut is over tightened on top!!!

Last edited:
I definitely shipped those tabs on the rotary switches (besides, I have the opposite problem: rotary switches too short).
In other news, I had an epiphany last night where I realized that I could take off the extra nuts from the spdt switches to lower the clearance and that worked perfectly (I know, pretty dumb mistake). Oddly enough, I kept the one on the dpdt because it was slightly shorter. That’s what I get for not visually checking the heights before I started soldering. Build report coming soon!

Back