Tap Tempo Delay

I had a friend ask about this too for a diy project and I figured it had been asked here before.

I can think of 2 options that would both be great.
1. PT2399 delay with one of the available tap tempo controllers (like the taptation or something similar).
2. FV-1 with tap tempo on one of the control parameters. Subdivision could be on another parameter (still need parameters for manual time and repeats though), or basically just different patches with identical code except for the delay subdivision (eighth, dotted eighth, quarter). With some lowpass on the repeats (either in the code or an analog control), I would imagine that it could get similar sounds to the pt2399 delays, but with more versatility. Could even have a daydream or tremolo patch with tap in the same pedal.

The FV-1 code for tap tempo eats up a majority of your instructions that you would use for the actual delay effect..... you can do it, but then you're a bit limited in what you can do in terms of the actual effect. The Daydream would be an absolute no go, unfortunately.

I do have plans for a tap tempo module for the FV-1, but it's been on the back burner for some time now... eventually......

The FV-1 code for tap tempo eats up a majority of your instructions that you would use for the actual delay effect..... you can do it, but then you're a bit limited in what you can do in terms of the actual effect. The Daydream would be an absolute no go, unfortunately.

I do have plans for a tap tempo module for the FV-1, but it's been on the back burner for some time now... eventually......
Why cant the tap functions be handled by an independent PIC then the PIC feeds PWM to the FV-1. That will easy the processing load of the FV-1. Honestly everyone is way over charging for Tap functions for the PT2399. PIC programing is easy and Tap function is simple math.

Why cant the tap functions be handled by an independent PIC then the PIC feeds PWM to the FV-1. That will easy the processing load of the FV-1. Honestly everyone is way over charging for Tap functions for the PT2399. PIC programing is easy and Tap function is simple math.

This is essentially the idea, but there are a few "gotchas" compared to the PT2399.

The control voltages going into a pot input (for the delay time) aren't necessarily linear, 1/2 control volume isn't necessarily 1/2 of max delay time.... so you'd need a lookup table (predefined or generated by a calibration routine, like some of the PT2399 tap tempo ICs)

Each algorithm has it's own maximum delay time, so one table does not fit all.... so you either have to recalibrate for each effect, or design all algorithms intended to be used with the tap module to have the same max delay time.

I have the hardware done, and the tap code technically works, the next step is accuracy.

PedalPCB- are you folks still working on tap-tempo ? Are you using an external cpu to calculate, or an fv-1 eeprom program ? Will we see it for sale soon ?

(love the idea)

FYI I made a tap tempo by modding the dev-1 dev board (here).

the offboard wiring was tricky, but doable. After some trouble at first, my code works well now and has time, feedback, and repeat tone knobs in addition to the analog mix and volume. I started with the babelfish code but ended up with a lot of changes.

@PedalPCB could easily make a pcb with my changes - I could share the code.

But, the thing pedalpcb was working on with the external microcontroller sounds like it would be better in the long run.

FYI I made a tap tempo by modding the dev-1 dev board (here).

@PedalPCB could easily make a pcb with my changes - I could share the code.

But, the thing pedalpcb was working on with the external microcontroller sounds like it would be better in the long run.

I'm doing something with an external microprocessor called Teensy (Arduino-based) that takes over the pots, the switches, and the master clock. It can mute or reset the fv-1, monitor the audio signal and clipping, switch effect eeproms on the fly, tap tempos, and remember your settings as a preset. I don't want to wave it around if the PPCB guys are doing an official version, but opening the code base to everyone here might result in a nice collaboration project, hence my question to the Admin guys.

Btw phi1, very nice ideas enclosing your programmer board & mods in a usable pedal, particularly the eeprom socket being external. Nice graphics, very neat, quite impressive.

This is one of the projects that I'm slowly working on, but has fallen through the cracks a few times...

I have a couple different approaches to tap tempo, but running it in code on the FV-1 isn't one of them.

If you already have some working code maybe we can work together on a PCB that utilizes it.

Back