Tech21 VTDI

astoria

Is anyone aware of any projects for this out there? I'm aware of one possible board with a janky design from a janky designer in the EU and that's it.

Is anyone aware of any projects for this out there? I'm aware of one possible board with a janky design from a janky designer in the EU and that's it.
The Madbean sludge hammer is the Bass Driver DI. Since the Bass Driver DI is very, very similar in layout to the VT Bass DI, I wouldn’t be surprised if the VT is just a few component changes and one or two offboard tweaks to the Bass Driver circuit. Don’t know if a good schematic for the VT, but if you can find that somewhere, you might be able to see if it could be built around a sludge hammer PCB.

I was comparing what I think they two circuits are and there were some significant differences. I really like my Sludgehammer build and had been hoping that would be an easy component swap but I don't think it is since the VTDI is based on the character series iirc

I was comparing what I think they two circuits are and there were some significant differences. I really like my Sludgehammer build and had been hoping that would be an easy component swap but I don't think it is since the VTDI is based on the character series iirc
In that case… Wishlist time!

Do you want the VT Bass DI to use as a preamp ? Will you need all the extra features (MIDI, phantom & ground connect, parallel output, etc.) ?

I bought it brand new a few years ago and enjoyed it for a long time. It does sound good. Then I built Aion's TS-50 and told myself :

"If i had built this thing sooner, i wouldn't have spent 300 euros on the Tech 21"

Aion's Beta preamp with bass specs is also a great alternative.

PS : don't forget to vote for the Aguilar Agro Bass Overdrive !

Edit : There're also two Tech21 SansAmp clones available at pcbguitarmania :

Last edited:
Do you want the VT Bass DI to use as a preamp ? Will you need all the extra features (MIDI, phantom & ground connect, parallel output, etc.) ?

I bought it brand new a few years ago and enjoyed it for a long time. It does sound good. Then I built Aion's TS-50 and told myself :

"If i had built this thing sooner, i wouldn't have spent 300 euros on the Tech 21"

Aion's Beta preamp with bass specs is also a great alternative.

PS : don't forget to vote for the Aguilar Agro Bass Overdrive !

Edit : There're also two Tech21 SansAmp clones available at pcbguitarmania :

Preamp and DI. The fancy features like midi added in the newer versions aren't needed.

I'll check out the Aion projects!

I have also voted for the Agro! That would be just as or more amazing!

Yeah the Sinner is the one project I've seen but that designer is.... not great, and having to ship them over from the EU to the US would be less than ideal.

Thanks!

@astoria & @Bricksnbeatles

There is no individual post for the VTDI in the archive, just a general Character Series request:

My understanding is that the VTDI is the character series circuit with a DI

Back
Top Bottom