the final step and bane of my existence- wiring

I also dislike dealing with wiring but I found two things that really help. The first one, as other mentioned, is patience! I also used to rush it because I was “almost done” and that always leads to disasters. The second one is loctite or blutack or any other sticky paste: with it I can set multiple wires on the board, secure them with loctite and then solder them. It has made my process a lot more streamlined and less error prone.

I use solid and stranded silver plated wire from either a vendor on eBay I’ve been using forever or Apex Jr. I pre-tin the stranded. Strip, dip in paste flux, and put just enough solder where you can still see the strands.

Lots of great info here. I used to HATE wiring and now oddly enough it's kind of my favorite part. It's a great opportunity to just take it slow and practice some zen while building haha, since really all you have to do is just strip, tin, and solder. I know for me having a good wire cutter/stripper actually made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the overall process. This isn't the exact one, but I found a stripper similar to this and it was a game changer for me for some reason.

Back