The Week on the Breadboard: Chuck's Buzzaround

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
Maybe we should hold a contest to come up with a better name.

Red Knob: LEVEL
Red Knob: TIMBRE
Red Knob: FUZZ
LED is a rainbow LED that fades from one color to the next. Very psychedelic.

Chuck's Buzzaround breadboard v0.2 - 02.jpg

I bought a pile of MP38As recently and decided to have another go at the Buzzaround. I looked at the various TB mk3 circuits and ended up with this. I replaced the Ge Darlington pair with a single high-gain low-noise Si transistor. The rest of it is pretty standard. It's negative ground, so no charge pump req'd. C3 rolls off the top end a bit, just like vintage Ge would do. This is a good circuit for leaky diodes, so I put in a Russian D2D. Q3 is optional. It's a unity-gain buffer that will keep the next device in the chain from loading down the TIMBRE circuit. J112 would also work. If you're driving an amp or high-impedance pedal, the buffer is unnecessary. I designed a Vero, but it's not yet verified. ♪ Inna Gadda Da Vida Bay-Beh! ♫

Chuck's Buzzaround v0.2.png

Last edited:
I suggest that you breadboard it and decide for yourself. My definition of "wooly" might not be the same as yours. Kinda like the way surfers describe waves.

To be analytical about it, the TIMBRE knob is mostly a treble control. At 7:00, most of the bass is gone; we get some high mids and a lotta treble. As you turn it up, the bass increases. Flat is somewhere around 1:00. Above that, there is a some slight treble cut. To recap: clockwise for fatness, counterclockwise for sizzle. Pretty much the same at the TIMBRE knob on every other TB mk3. Some of them get very thin when you turn TIMBRE down.

C6 tunes the sizzle. Smaller for hotter, larger for fatter.
C2 controls the bottom end going into the distortion stage. Larger for a thicker bottom, smaller for a tight booty. Know what I'm sayin'? :cool:

Ya know, in the beginning I had the BALANCE control on the breadboard. To me, all it did was act as a volume control. I expected it to alter the tone too, but I wasn't hearing that. If you're hearing something different, then maybe I need to have a second look at it. The main reason I ditched the BALANCE control in favor of the LEVEL control is it gave me a way to balance the bass and treble sides of the TIMBRE control. I copied the configuration from the Park Fuzz, Soul Bender, Sola Sound TB mk III, etc. You must have noticed the volume drop when you turn TIMBRE down on Buzzaround or Dizzy Tone.

[edit]
After a nap and further reflection, it occurs to me that we can still have the BALANCE control. To wit:

Chuck's Buzzaround v0.3.1.png

Last edited:
OK, this is it:
BALANCE acts as both a volume and a bias control. FUZZ influences the bias also, particularly below noon. C9 was the latest addition. It helps keep the TIMBRE from changing when BALANCE is rotated. I tried several different transistors for Q3. My AC127s are very leaky and did not work at all in this circuit. Tried a 2N1308 and it was hot. Much too hot for my tastes. The MP38A I have in there now has Iceo = 240μA. Pick a JFET for Q3 that provides a source voltage between 3V and 6V. If you can't find a suitable JFET, omit Q3, R11, R12 & C7. Take the output from TIMBRE pin 2.

Chuck's Buzzaround v0.3.2.png

Last edited:
Gonna do a final once over on this tomorrow (caught pinout errors today that I'm not 100% sure I fixed) before I snag a few boards and share gerbers/diptrace files but can't help but tease it

1692829105633.png

edit: finally tracked down the post Chuck had a while back with the Celestial Engineering font (carolus) so that will be going on there too

Last edited:
Back