This Week on the Breadboard: The Celestial Screamer

Right! Because R6 used to be in parallel with VR1 and now it isn't (C2 blocks DC current). As you say, R6 is used to dial-in Q1's drain voltage. Maybe a 2K trimmer in series with 1K.

D1 & D3. Thanks for pointing that out. The schematic has been corrected.

"standard" TS settings are BOOST at zero, DRIVE below noon, LO-CUT at 9:00, HI-CUT at 1:00, BASS at noon, TREBLE to taste.
I hate to mention it, but in the process of updating the schematic I'm working from, I noticed that your polarity protection diode shares the same refdes (D3) as the second 1N4007 in the clipping section. I'll update the diode in the power section on my schematic to D5.

I'll have to double-check with @Chuck D. Bones to verify that everything should work as intended, but I think I've done as much with this one as I'd like to. Anyways, here's where I'm at currently...
1694457220423.png 1694457957520.png
Switchable boost and bypass both running through Celestial Bypass relay switching. Clipping config switchable through internal DIP switch with options for symmetrical, asymmetrical, and open (LEDs only). Designed for 16mm potentiometers and housed in a 1590BB, oriented vertically. 9V only with this design.

I'll have to double-check with @Chuck D. Bones to verify that everything should work as intended, but I think I've done as much with this one as I'd like to. Anyways, here's where I'm at currently...
View attachment 56252View attachment 56253
Switchable boost and bypass both running through Celestial Bypass relay switching. Clipping config switchable through internal DIP switch with options for symmetrical, asymmetrical, and open (LEDs only). Designed for 16mm potentiometers and housed in a 1590BB, oriented vertically. 9V only with this design.
Will you be making these available?

View attachment 56252View attachment 56253
Good. Ness.

Will you be making these available?
I could, sure. After discussing the added clipping switch with @Chuck D. Bones, I’ll have to make a couple changes to the clipping configuration. This circuit won’t benefit much from asymmetrical clipping and the open setting (LEDs only) would almost certainly lead to opamp clipping with the included boost.

Needless to say, I have a couple edits to make before ordering some prototypes.

Of course there are rules about where the treble pot goes! Duh! As you look at the pedal on your board bass is the knob on the left and treble on the right. It is always like that unless the pedal is wrong.

Well that's how my ODs are. It's handy because I rarely put labels on them. And gain is always top right, volume top left. This should be an industry standard. Another rule is that overdrives only ever have four knobs. Unless they are a MIAB, when five knobs are tolerated.

There are rules, people!!

This pedal looks really cool, especially if I overlook the knob rule transgressions.

Here's mine in the box. Certainly allows for a lot of tweaking of bass and treble content.
I'm realising more and more that I'm not such a 'tubescreamer sorta guy' and dig more the jfet and combinations with Germanium drives which abound plenty luckily.
And while there's good choices for sure I'd like to bump the Okko Diablo up on the queue for boneyard treatment....

Nyvy7os.jpg

5xI4MyI.jpg

uPohMUe.jpg

hZe0WUR.jpg

aLSfJ5w.jpg

Just posted a build report for this one here:

Here are couple shots of my build:

IMG_1639.jpg IMG_1632.jpg IMG_1636.jpg

Great sounding circuit @Chuck D. Bones!

Back