This Week on the Breadboard: Windmill (WIIO) cb mod

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
As part of a larger project, I simulated and breadboarded the Windmill Hi-Watt amp-in-a-box. The Windmill schematic is reprinted below. I don't like MOSFETs for the first stage because they can be noisy. I changed Q1 to a BF244B JFET (J112 also works). R1 now returns to GND. I reduced R2 to 1.5K to get the bias right and reduced R4 to 470Ω to get the gain right. C3 is overkill at 100μF, so I reduced it to 10μF. C7 & C14 are also oversized; I reduced them to 1μF. Likewise, C12 was reduced to 47nF. The stock values work fine, but it's a bit silly to me for coupling caps to roll-off below 1Hz. D2 & D3 are unnecessary, so they're gone. The original Vref biases the MOSFETs to clip very asymmetrically. I installed a 10K trimpot between R101 & R102. I changed R101 & R102 to 10K. I dialed the bias in for nearly symmetric clipping. Q2-D & Q3-D are about 5.9V. Then I took a look at the feedback network comprised of C17 & R18. Putting a feedback loop around a tone stack is nothing new; Fender & Marshall have done it for decades. but in this circuit, the feedback is so strong that it effectively cancels out the effects of the tone stack. I increased R18 to 470K to reduce the feedback and put a toggle switch in series to kill the feedback altogether if I want.

windmill sch.png
The LTSpice freq response plot below shows the effect of the feedback. GAIN, TREBLE & BASS at noon, signal measured at Q3-D. Green trace: R18 = 200K. Blue trace: R18 = 470K, Red trace: no feedback (R18 removed). As you can see, the feedback lowers the gain and flattens the freq response. The feedback also reduces the distortion, but why would we want to do that? :p

1718155114510.png

for moderate GAIN settings, the tone is clear & clean. Turn the gain up and dig the pick in and we get a nice growl with a smooth decay. With the feedback disabled, the gain is a little higher, the tone controls are more effective and there is still plenty of clean headroom.

Knobs (L-R): MASTER, BASS, TREBLE, GAIN. The toggle switch kills the feedback.
Q1 on the lower right, Q2 in the middle, Q3 on the lower left. All three FETs run at about 1mA drain current.

Hi-Watt cb mod v0.1 breadboard 02.jpg

Next phase: modified Lunar Module driving the modified HiWatt. This Lunar Module variant is modified specifically for this application.
HiWatt on the left half, LM on the right half.
Knobs & switches (L-R): MASTER - BASS - TREBLE - GAIN - FEEDBACK ON/OFF - FUZZ BYPASS - FUZZ VOLUME - BRITE - FUZZ - BODY
Left trimpot: MOSFET Bias. Right trimpot: Pre-gain.
Schematic coming soon...

HiWatt + Lunar Module breadboard 02.jpg

Part three is vibe?
I’m guessing you’ve got a Nostalgitone DSOTM board, of course. I’ll have to dig up the windmill pcb from the bottom of my backlog box and give these mods a try— Always looking for the ultimate in hiwatt flavor

The stock values work fine, but it's a bit silly to me for coupling caps to roll-off below 1Hz.
“DOOOOOOM” or alternatively, “Do any modular geeks wanna get freaky with their LFO outputs?”

you are correct, Sir!

Barry is always running discounts and I am a sucker for that!

I have a few mods in mind for the Vibe section. I am not a fan of the LFO circuit because phase-shift oscillators are persnickety. If I was designing a board from scratch, I'd use the STOMPLFO to make sinewaves. But that is not the case here and I'm making the best of the LFO and LED driver.

The main difference is the BASS & TREBLE controls do more. With the feedback off, the gain is a little higher and the distortion comes on more gradually. At the risk of sounding cliché, the tone is more tube-like with the feedback turned off. The tone is very transparent when the feedback is on and the GAIN is set below clipping. When I box mine up, there will be a FEEDBACK on/off switch on it.

I've scoured the 'net for HiWatt amp schematics and I have yet to find one with that feedback circuit in it.

I've been looking for an option for my Black Dog/RAH pedal. This might just be the ticket. I've got the schematic printed out with the changes for the Windmill ready to go!

Thank you for directing me to Aion on this, very informative. Good to know what Catalinbread had in mind with the WIIO & RAH.

I'll do some more experimentation on the breadboard. At this time, my impression is that AION's feedback trimpot does not have enough range because it does not make the feedback go to zero. There are other ways to implement the trimpot, but the switch does everything I need. Since I am building the final version on a GPCB DSOTM board, the tone stack will have two knobs, not three.

It should be noted that when GAIN is dimed, the feedback approaches zero because the output impedance of the 1st stage is so low.

Back