Those of you who use Dale resistors…

I’m sitting on a signature Eric Johnson potato peeler with COA. I’m waiting for the price to climb a wee higher before unloading on eBay. (y)
COA? And let me know when I’ll bid on it for sure unless you’ll part with that sweet utensil now? Pm me we could negotiate something I’m sure

I use Dales but only the 5-10W ones. I use them in amps for power tube cathode resistors or the 5W grid stoppers on EL34s. And I use them because they look so damn cool! The square Xicon resistors look so cheap, like concrete bricks. The Dale wire-wound resistors look evil and stealth. I saw them in a Badcat amp once and had to find where I could get some for my amps!

To be honest I’ve never heard of these but then again who am I? I’m intrigued though. Is it hype? Like another said isn’t resistance ….just resistance or is there more to it other than they look cool

Well it's not so much of an issue in pedals where the currents tend to be miniscule but in amps the wattage rating is important. A friend brought around a commercially available 5E3 style amp for me to look at and the builder had used 1/4W resistors for the dropping resistors along the B+. Well he used 1/4W everywhere except between the filter caps. This is not a good idea!

So yeah, resistance is resistance until it isn't any more!

Yeah components have recommended operating conditions that they need in order to operate as expected. So yeah, a resistor is a resistor within the operating conditions… We all assume that components are “ideal”, but they never are. There are non linearities hiding everywhere and those may affect how a circuit works. Probably not on pedals though (low voltages and low currents).

Most prices drop a good bit at 10 parts. Still, a big bump in price from ~1cent. They are very conservatively rated—i just sorted through several hundred RN55 and most were tighter than .2% tolerance. I haven’t tested for noise, but my sense is that they are similarly well under the spec ppm. Overkill for pedals, but I’ve never let that stop me. If I can fit them in, I’ll use styrene caps for pf values too…

Wait until you run into projects that involve trimmed foil resistors. My DAC has several Vishay and Caddock foils in it that cost between $18 and $30 each. Unfortunately, the circuit sounds better with them…

Most prices drop a good bit at 10 parts. Still, a big bump in price from ~1cent.
I was going by digikey pricing— 100 for over $70? And that’s the best bulk deal they have that isn’t in the 100s of dollars for a single value— I typically get a full roll of 1000 1% 1/4w resistors for like $12 when I’m buying the values that get used up most. Other sites seem to be similarly expensive.
Seems some users have good local sources of these resistors though— at the 5¢/ea like what Betty mentioned, I’d be down for a good few. It’s the 70¢/ea even in bulk that I can’t go for lol

I was going by digikey pricing— 100 for over $70? And that’s the best bulk deal they have that isn’t in the 100s of dollars for a single value— I typically get a full roll of 1000 1% 1/4w resistors for like $12 when I’m buying the values that get used up most. Other sites seem to be similarly expensive.
Seems some users have good local sources of these resistors though— at the 5¢/ea like what Betty mentioned, I’d be down for a good few. It’s the 70¢/ea even in bulk that I can’t go for lol

There’s a big difference between using them in a Fuzz Face where you maybe have 5 resistors depending on mods and using them for a big BBD pedal.

Oh great….must….resist….[dives in]

Proving what Big Monk already found out in post #11 and Barry in post #12 will capitulate on, and what Mybud alluded to in post #15...

728d0c58d57ed66284f0795f60b6d4a0.jpg

Couldn't resi... help it, found this one for Barry...

7d68248d8b7245ee2fc094fad894cbe6.jpg

I want a T-shirt with the schematic resistance is futile on the front, and then the above on the back.

I tell you what, though, resistance IS bloody futile if you put a jumper around that resistor, or resister...

A resister is someone who resists, a resistor is an electrical component, like a transistor....

I think people are overlooking how damn GOOD those Vishay/Dale resistors look.

You’re all being too practical here.
Exactly. Are they in any way necessary? No. Do I want to build a Parasit C19 with a bunch of nice brown-red resistors to make the PCB look all pretty? yes.

Back