Through-hole to SMD, or SMD J201 for SMD 2N5487

iamjackslackof

Hi all,

Working on my second spring reverb driver pedal, this time from Scientific Guitarist. It seems somewhat similar to the Hooke/Spaceman Orion I built recently, but with enough changes/additions (like an EP-3 style preamp) to make it worth building. I have another full-sized reverb tank driver build coming up too, seems like I can't help but build lots a certain effect at the same time.

My questions has 2 3 parts.

1. This reverb driver uses a MMBFJ201 for the preamp. I only have the through-hole version of J201s. Does anyone have any experience/know if it's possible to adapt the THT J201 to the SMD J201? Seems tricky, and google shows most people do the opposite. I only have the Gerbers, so I don't think I can modify the footprint to THT. Plus I already got the PCB in from JLCPCB and would like to build soon.

2. I do happen to have some SMD 2N5457s. I think they might provide less gain in the preamp, which would probably be OK, so can I get away with swapping in one of those for the J201?

Thanks!

EDIT:
3. I also realized I have some SMD J201s, already soldered to an adapter board by AionFX. Is it crazy to try to desolder them? Seems like it...

Last edited:
Update: It is possible to desolder a tiny-ass SMD J201! I actually spent more time on my hands and knees with a flashlight looking for it on the carpet than I did desoldering it 🤦‍♂️

The question now it, did I fry it, and should I try to use it in the circuit? Only SMD soldering I've done other than just now is a single FV-1.

Final update: I was able to test the J201. I rigged up a tester using my DCA75, test leads, a SMD to THT adapter PCB I forgot I had, and some tweezers. So I didn't fry it when I removed it, most likely.

So I went ahead and soldered it in place! Hopefully I'll be able to finish it up tomorrow and see if it really is good...

Back