Anybody bought a Little Bear R.Attack recently?

radam84

Im looking to buy a Rat clone and cant quite decide between the dolamo d-11 because its super cheap, but have been leaning towards the little bear rt-2 because I saw pictures of the board and its all thru hole components and I figured Id just swap pieces and make it more like a traditional Rat if I chose to one day. But then I saw a picture of he same board with SMD components and now Im unsure as to what to do. If anyone has bought one recently and could confirm if it has thru-hole or SMD parts and where it was purchased Id be very greatful. Ill attach pictures, maybe Im missing something but Im not seeing any version numbers or anything. I actually found 3 different types of the same board, below are them.

circuit-RT2-photo - copy.jpg jp2obnqoghqsmtogutoa (1).jpg Motorola lm308 guitar effect pedal-910x1155.jpg

It's a Chinese company (nobsound) so likely everything to smd I'd it wasn't always and they just put photos of through hole out for clout.
But this ain't tgp. We're gonna tell you to build a rat.
that first picture with all the components numbers on it was from a DIY'er, so they have to have been thru-hole design at some point, but yea Im assuming they started that way and once orders started being to much for hand made they probably switched, I did notice though that the SMD board does have all the original thru-hole holes, so I guess thats something at least. I am very tempted to do a veroboard rat that I found the other day, Im just not sure I can buy all the parts needed and enclosure for any less than buying the little bear clone already built. I will be doing altoids fuzz build though to dip a toe in to the world of building though. What are you referring to when you mentioned TGP? Thanks for the reply and who knows maybe I will just say screw it and build a rat, as I would really like to get into building. cheers.

nobody here is buying anything like that. we're making our own
Fair enough, thought I might get lucky and come across someone who might just mod things, another user mentioned TGP and when I figure out what that is, Ill go there and ask the same question I guess, thanks for the reply though eh, cheers.

If you are stateside, Aion fx has a full rat kit iirc. Musiqeding or whatever it's called in Europe Shirley has one.
Effects layouts has a couple of feature rich modded rat boards as well.
(Nope, I'm leaving it. It's funny and dumb)

nobody here is buying anything like that. we're making our own
I mean, I almost bought a $8 "analog" delay on Ali last week. Figured maybe it had cool audio MN chips in it but I'm sure it was a 2399...
But to OP, if you don't have a means and need a cheap rat, there are several in the $15-20 range on AliExpress. The mosky even has a turbo switch.
Or you can get the $55 dualist, lol.

I mean, I almost bought a $8 "analog" delay on Ali last week. Figured maybe it had cool audio MN chips in it but I'm sure it was a 2399...
But to OP, if you don't have a means and need a cheap rat, there are several in the $15-20 range on AliExpress. The mosky even has a turbo switch.
Or you can get the $55 dualist, lol.
I did think about the mosky as well, its actually what lead me down the rat rabbit hole lol.

If you are stateside, Aion fx has a full rat kit iirc. Musiqeding or whatever it's called in Europe Shirley has one.
Effects layouts has a couple of feature rich modded rat boards as well.
(Nope, I'm leaving it. It's funny and dumb)
I live in Canada, so shipping can become a bit of a nightmare lol, but thank you I will check it out.

Finding an LM308 chip is usually the hardest part of building a Rat. Some say it is crucial but I've built a few with a CA3130 and don't really hear a difference. If you use a CA3130 the the 30pF cap that goes between pins 1 & 8 of the chip should be swapped for a 100pF. There are other chips you can use but I like the CA3130 because that's what Bjørn Juhl uses in his Rat based pedals.

Someone gave me some TO-99 NEC upc156a claiming they are a LM308 eqv.... Worked a treat in my RAT build.

Finding an LM308 chip is usually the hardest part of building a Rat. Some say it is crucial but I've built a few with a CA3130 and don't really hear a difference. If you use a CA3130 the the 30pF cap that goes between pins 1 & 8 of the chip should be swapped for a 100pF. There are other chips you can use but I like the CA3130 because that's what Bjørn Juhl uses in his Rat based pedals.
I actually forund a canadian based store that has them for I think like 1.19 or something, problem is, they dont have everything else Id need for the project so Id end up paying to differnt shipping chares by buying from two sites, I didnt know about the CA3130, Ill look into. Ive been looking into OP07 and LM386 and LM358, ultimately I think Im just going to go with the OP07 as thats whats in the RAT2 as far as I recall.

Back