Tid Bit's of Helpful Hints or Beneficial Habits in Your Builds Anybody?

djmiyta

Just in case your like me and love tidbits of "Hey I wish I thought of that" or "that's a great idea" or not so great I think someone somewhere can benefit. I do all the time. For instance here I was told I should clean my nasty ass board with rubbing alcohol ( he didn't really say nasty but ). I've been building for years and never heard of that. Since then any troubleshooting is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier with a clean board just a great simple idea

I use sockets for everything modifiable on all (almost) my builds and since I swap out parts different lead thickness can make reusing the sockets difficult mainly when the sockets holes are too big (actually for me that's the only problem) and so what I do is melt some solder onto my hot iron and spread a thin layer of lovely melted solder on each leg /lead I'm putting in the socket if its too thick a few strokes of a needle file and your golden.
Some times the original part is the best and in swapping parts I liked the first one only now the socket holes from the previous swap are too big and the original part just swims in the holes sooooo.......

In my experience tape has made drilling more difficult. I tended to get aluminum chips that would stick under the tape and scratch the paint and just kind of generally gum things up.

I have a soft paintbrush that I use to wipe the enclosure after drilling each hole which works for me.
I use a shop towel the blue ones that are lint free, stuff doesn't hang on them either

Last edited:
In my experience tape has made drilling more difficult. I tended to get aluminum chips that would stick under the tape and scratch the paint and just kind of generally gum things up.

I have a soft paintbrush that I use to wipe the enclosure after drilling each hole which works for me.
Was wondering if there's a reason why you all don't drill your holes first ? Oh wait pre-painted tayda boxes.......but they also come pre-drilled......? So to all who don't use Tayda. It just seems smarter to drill then paint but I Know very little compared to the vastness of the cosmos.

Was wondering if there's a reason why you all don't drill your holes first ? Oh wait pre-painted tayda boxes.......but they also come pre-drilled......? So to all who don't use Tayda. It just seems smarter to drill then paint but I Know very little compared to the vastness of the cosmos.
I buy the powder coated enclosures from Tayda and then install a no-film decal. The decal is more difficult to install on an enclosure that's already drilled out. I enjoy doing everything on my own as well, even the decals and drilling. At least then I'll only have myself to blame!

"I buy the powder coated enclosures from Tayda and then install a no-film decal. The decal is more difficult to install on an enclosure that's already drilled out. I enjoy doing everything on my own as well, even the decals and drilling. At least then I'll only have myself to blame!"

That helps explain might disastrous 1st and only attempt at a water-slide decal. Now I will try once again but with a painted un drilled aluminum box which I forge myself once smelted

Back