Transcendence Boost (Creation Audio Labs Mk.somthing-or-other)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Taking a break from my compressor spree and going back to "Boost tasting" again.
Still looking for that perfect boost for my VHT D-Fifty.

I built this boost based on the positive reviews from @Alan W.
It does not disappoint!

It's an interesting boost in that it's a simple one knob job. Alan had mentioned how transparent it was and how it makes your original sound louder without a lot of coloration. I would have to agree, yet I also think it adds a little sumpin sumpin in a very good way.

At lower settings, like just boosting a few DB it's extremely transparent, yet as you dial it up it sounds a little "fuller" for lack of a better term.
It could be that it's just pushing the tubes or overdrive a bit harder but I think there's more going on than that.

I recorded a demo of the two boosts I built today and comparing them side by side the Transcendence sounds a bit "fuller" to me.
Really digging this boost. Super easy build.

The only issue I ran into was the 220uf cap fitting in a 1590B. I had to tilt the board to make it clear the back of the enclosure.

Demo for this pedal will be in the next build report coming shortly. Just waiting on the video to finish rendering.

I used my last Group Buy "Neutron" enclosure from SBP.

IMG_5047.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

IMG_5045.JPG

You may be right, regarding the added “sumpin sumpin”—I generally do just add an extra handful of db with it. Mine is off at a friends for a few months, but when I get it back, I’ll try To see if I can get that sumpin also. At the lower boost levels I use, it seems pretty flat (freq. wise), especially going down quite low. (I use it with my B tuned fretless 5 string on occasion, and it keeps the sub harmonics hanging in there with the fundamentals better than most.)

My sense has always been what you suggest, that as it gets louder, it’s pushing the amp harder, and the sound gets more solid; but it could also have a slight lower mid bump that just isn’t as obvious with a slight boost.

Before I sent it out (along with several other “cleaner” boosts all still in unpainted, unlabeled boxes), I did put it back on my board for a few nights; I’ve been favoring transistor boosts more lately, so had it out of rotation—and still felt it had an unusually pristine sound.

What colour was this enclosure?
Nice build.

Indeed there is a place for that special particular boost stages we desire.

The Trancendence works well,
The Looking Glass again is another point of reference.

Just entering into the dynamic and understandings of these various different types of approach into getting that entry into breakup boost with a touch of 3D fullness and dynamic pick response.

What makes a particular boost/pedal more susceptible to subtle dynamic pick response?

Like how am auto wah detects the harder strikes of pick attack?

Back