DEMO MBP "HuskyBoy2023" (Orman MiniBoost/Fat Bastard/FB-2)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
When I ordered this board it sounded interesting but I didn't realize I also had ordered the PedalPCB version (Obtuse Boost, based on the Fulltone FB-2)

In the MBP build docs it mentions that the origins of this boost is the Jack Orman Mini-Boost and that there was quite a story of how it became (got appropriated/copped/whatever) the Paul Cochrane "Fat Bastard" and Fulltone FB-2.

Interestingly, it doesn't sound like I expected it to. I was expecting a big bloomy kind of boost with a lot of bottom end like the Thorpy Heavy Water, but I'm finding it to be a rather transparent boost.

This iteration has Bass and Treble controls as well as somewhat interchangeable Level and Gain knobs.
I'm still figuring out how the two controls interact with one another but I find if I dime the gain then use the Level to control overall boost, it gets slightly grittier.
Conversely, diming the Level and using the Gain knob to control overall boost yields a more clean and transparent boost.

It's a great sounding boost and now I need to build the Obtuse and see how it sounds as well.....:)

Small footprint, low parts counts, easy build, sounds great! What more could one ask? :)

I recorded a demo of both this and the Transcendence Boost comparing them side by side. Please forgive the hum and noise when I crank up the amp gain. I'm having a power issue during certain times of the day where my whole rig gets really noisy. I'm not exactly sure where it's coming from yet, might be the kitchen as there's usually a lot of activity there in the afternoon.

IMG_5041.JPG

IMG_5040.JPG

Did Paul C work for Mike F? What's the apprenticeship aspect of that story?
I think this is what you are referring to:

Back