Modus Operandi Boost (Jackson Audio Amp Mode)

geoffrey

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So due to the glowing praise from quite a few people I respect on this forum, I was looking forward to this build and it didn't disappoint. I was itching to do a quick build over Thanksgiving and luckily I had everything I needed for this already in my inventory. And indeed it was a quick and easy build, with the the only caveat being the only C5K I had lying around had straight terminals instead of angled, so I had to wire it off board (how I even ended up with a straight pinned pot is a mystery).

This boost definitely lives up the hype; not only is it super clean but it has quite a bit of boost on tap. I compared it with another buffered clean boost, my FDIC (Fulltone 2B), and although they are quite similar in tone (with the germanium dynamics control on the FDIC dimed out), the Modus had loads more volume at its disposable. In addition, the FDIC has a wee bit of a softer, gentler hue to it (not in a bad way), while the Modus is a bit more dynamic.

I also compared it to my Texel, maybe unfairly so because they are completely different kinds of boosts, and the Texel won in every category you could think of except for the amount of boost on tap and simplicity: The Modus can go way loud, and it's hard to beat one-knobbers one it comes to how this was designed to be applied.

All in all, I can reccomend all three of these boosts. If a buffer is important, can't go wrong with either the Modus or the FDIC depending on what else you're looking for.

I'm certainly glad I built the Modus, but honestly I'm planning on building a second Texel, the king of all boosts: one for before and one for after my dirt :p

In conclusion, build one. I can't imagine one not having a use for it. Another 5 stars for PPCB

IMG_9446.jpeg

IMG_9445.jpeg

Try boosting any overdrive with the Modus. The Modus has some coloration to it but in a good way. It's like the coloration is dialed for guitar tones. I generally don't use it for a clean boost but it just about makes ANY overdrive sound better to me.

Try boosting any overdrive with the Modus. The Modus has some coloration to it but in a good way. It's like the coloration is dialed for guitar tones. I generally don't use it for a clean boost but it just about makes ANY overdrive sound better to me.
Oh yea @MichaelW, I totally agree; there's definitely some "tone conditioning" going on in a good way (should have included this in my build report). It reminds me a wee bit of the Clandestine preamp in that way, but not quite as versatile (or as magical!) as the Clandestine. In fact, my Clandestine is always on at the back of my chain, so when I was using the Modus to boast my Speedy Sheep, I now had - brace yourselves - a double tone conditioner.

I still like my Texel to boost my Od's though, so we have what we might call the pedal builders curse: too many exceptional pedals on hand with too few spots on the board or applications for them to fill. They're both too good a pedal to not have on my board right now., so where there's a will, there's a way...

Last edited:
Back