transistor oc139 equivalent ?

AurEL.

Hi guys, I'm new here and I'm a big noob.

I have some issues finding some transistor, specially the oc139 and I need it for my project of pre amp...

Can someone know if there is an equivalent ? or can I use an other transistor ?

Thx you so much :)

It seems that the OC139 is an NPN Germanium transistor. Almost any NPN Ge transistor could be used. Generally you want low leakage and reasonable HFE. Google "OC139 datasheet" to find out typical HFE and find an NPN Ge transistor in that range. If you buy a few and put a socket on the board for the transistor you can try a few to see/hear which one sounds best. If you're looking for inexpensive NPN Ge transistors then Russian MP38s can give excellent results.

The OC139 is an NPN germanium BJT. Some equivalents are: OC140, CV7112, NTE103A, 2SK3835, 2N229, ASY29, AC187, and/or AC176.

Pretty sure there are several others as well. Depending on the specific build, a germanium BJT may not be necessary.

TransistorSubstitutionChart.png

Last edited:
The OC139 is an NPN germanium BJT. Some equivalents are: OC140, CV7112, NTE103A, 2SK3835, 2N229, ASY29, AC187, and/or AC176.

Pretty sure there are several others as well. Depending on the specific build, a germanium BJT may not be necessary.

Hi, thx so much :)

They are hard to find :rolleyes:

I have those in stock right know :

2N5088 (to92) - 2N2222A - 2N2907A - 2N3904 - 2N3906 - 2N5551 - 2N5401 - S8050 - S8550 - A1015 C1815 - A42 - A92 - A733 - C945 - S9014 - BC327B - BC337B - BC547B - BC557B​

Do you think any of this can do the job ?
Thx you so much for your time, it's literaly my first pedal and I dont understand a lot of this for now.

To best target the BJT for the job, it's kinda important to have a clue of what you're building. Have you looked at & compared the different datasheets for those BJTs?

yeah I do, but I still have some issues :cry:

for exemple :

- the original : OC139 = 20V - 0.25A - 143 mW
- the closest I have : S8050 = 25V - 0.5A - 200 mW

They both are Germanium BJTs NPN, but I dont know if it's close enough ?

Thx you so much ! 😩

yeah I do, but I still have some issues :cry:

for exemple :

- the original : OC139 = 20V - 0.25A - 143 mW
- the closest I have : S8050 = 25V - 0.5A - 200 mW

They both are Germanium BJTs NPN, but I dont know if it's close enough ?

Thx you so much ! 😩
Those should be fine. As small-signal Ge BJTs go, those specs are not a primary concern. Hfe and Leakage are the important factors.

What are you building with the Ge transistors?

hum.... sorry to ask ( probably a stupide question ), but what is the difference ? :unsure:
Does it mean it can't be used instead of a Germanium ?
The germanium or silicon is the electrode material used. Most germanium transistors are out of production.

The germanium or silicon is the electrode material used. Most germanium transistors are out of production.
Yeah, I watch everywhere and I didn't find ( except very few, but very very expensive ) :cry:
So, if I understand well, those silicone transistor can be the job insted of the Germanium ?

Here is the pinout…:)

lrkznK4.jpg

Yeah, I watch everywhere and I didn't find ( except very few, but very very expensive ) :cry:
So, if I understand well, those silicone transistor can be the job insted of the Germanium ?
It will in this and other cases, but not all. Some look for a voltage leak through the germanium.

hum.... sorry to ask ( probably a stupide question ), but what is the difference ? :unsure:
Does it mean it can't be used instead of a Germanium ?
Another point of interest regarding Ge BJTs is that most of them are VERY temperature sensitive. The OCxx and Cvxxxx series are more stable than others, but still subject to changes in ambient temperature. Silicon transistors are far more stable and do NOT exhibit a measurable "leakage" - which also fluctuates with temperature changes.

Just use a socket for the BJT and you can try a few different NPN trannies out. You might want to socket R3 as well. Often, when swapping out different BJTs, the biasing resistor value may need adjusting. And as fig points out, the 2N22222 should work just fine. Still I'd socket the BJT and R3 to try different things. When you find a good working combo of BJT and R3 value, you can solder them in place.

Cheers!

We guitar players are a bit weird because we seem to like old, crappy technology which is inefficient and obsolete. We love tube amplifiers because those old inefficient tubes sound good with a guitar. We love germanium transistors because they work so well with a guitar in an old, basic fuzz pedal. It's the way they interact with the guitar which we like. But it is 60-year old technology now and you have alternatives.

As Cybercow says, germanium is very temperature sensitive, meaning that your favourite Ge Fuzz Face may make unusable sounds if used on a hot stage, as in an outdoor gig in summer, for example. Silicon transistors are generally a lot more stable. But silicon can sound brighter and not interact with your guitars controls as well.

The other thing about germanium transistors is that they tend to be low powered, ie their amplification levels are low. So when looking for a silicon replacement the first thing you want to look for (after whether it's NPN or PNP) is the HFE range. The HFE is kind of a power rating, and a lot of Ge transistors are under or around the 100 HFE mark, which is low by today's standards. That's why a 2N2222A might be a good choice, because it's usually around or below 200. A 2N3903 is another candidate - it's often even lower than a 2N2222A.

Back
Top Bottom