Triangulum (Fortin 33/Grind)

phi1

This is a gift build for a friend who helped me with a video project. He’s into playing metal and has mentioned interest in both the 33 and Grind pedals before. I don’t always post my builds but this one had a few finishing touches that I found interesting so I thought I’d share. Sorry, I forgot to get a gut shot and the pedal is out of my hands now.

According to the pedalpcb isosceles boost schematic, tho only difference between the Grind and 33 is 9.1k of resistance in the treble boost section. So I decided to put this on a 10kB pot so you can get either pedal or in between. In hind sight a log might have given a better sweep. I put a 100k in parallel across the pot lugs so it would be exactly 9.1k difference between the ends, though I’m sure it wouldn’t be noticeable at that point. I changed the 1k8 resistor to 2k and then put the wires to the pot in the 220R spot. Really the modes aren’t that different sounding, the 33 just having more treble. The isosceles build is more versatile for sure, but I decided to go this middle route for some versatility but still the simplicity and keep the fortin theme for this guy.

The art is just Tayda gloss if print on matte black. It was hard for me to get a good photo of the finished product, so I attached a couple of just the enclosure to show how the graphics disappear or come alive depending on the angle. my graphic designer friend made the artwork, as I don’t have any skill in that area.

The led is clear blue 3mm flat top (from lighthouse leds), and I colored over it with a black sharpie just enough to make it look black when off. I used a 1k CLR and it lights up plenty bright through the sharpie. I wasn’t sure if it would work, but it did, so I thought I’d share.

The black stomp sw is from Tayda. It doesn’t feel as nice as the Dailywell ones I normally get (‘Tayda highly recommends’), so I’m not sure if ide recommend this footswitch. We’ll see how it holds up. The guy is local so I can easily get it back to repair if needed.

On its own into a clean amp, it’s not impressive haha. It’s thin and noisy (since it’s boosting treble so much). But that’s not what it’s for. I don’t have a heavy distortion amp, but into a heavy distortion pedal it does what it should, making it more tight and aggressive, and I’m considering making something like it for myself now

Attachments

• 0E5E4B75-17CB-4856-B87B-1E3AB21AAA1A.jpeg
    0E5E4B75-17CB-4856-B87B-1E3AB21AAA1A.jpeg
    338 KB · Views: 37
  • DA6E2850-EFD4-438C-B9DF-503424D6735F.jpeg
    DA6E2850-EFD4-438C-B9DF-503424D6735F.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 4FAC72D2-FD5A-4F13-9C9C-300A72A55749.jpeg
    4FAC72D2-FD5A-4F13-9C9C-300A72A55749.jpeg
    691.8 KB · Views: 36
Back