Trimpot Adjustment - Son of Ben

I have 20 Fairchild J201's from Pedal Hacker that are all out of Spec, Just left over rubbish!.
Paypal reimbursed as he wouldn't respond!
I'm glad I never ordered from that guy. I was close on some GE transistors but I ended up just buying a DCA 55 and a bunch of transistors from Ukraine and Russia instead.

I have 20 Fairchild J201's from Pedal Hacker that are all out of Spec, Just left over rubbish!.
Well crap, I have some from him. The ones I used in my SOB were from GuitarPCB but I think I grabbed some from PedalHacker at one point. Unfortunately, I mixed them all in one bag so I don't which is from where. I guess I better go check them.

I suggest always measuring NOS components ( or all ) before use. I’ve gotten OOS pieces from both reputable vendors and questionable ones. Transparency in their QC would be refreshing (I.e. spot-checking batches).

How did you measure them and how far out of spec were they? Some pedal circuits will accommodate OOS parts and a few, like the Fairfield Unpleasant Surprise require OOS J201s.

Last edited:
I believe the DCA measures Vp & Idss. The Cheap Chinese Transistor Testers do not measure Vp & Idss. A DMM & a 9V power supply wil measure Vp & Idss. Search these forums to see how.

How did you measure them and how far out of spec were they? Some pedal circuits will accommodate OOS parts and a few, like the Fairfield Unpleasant Surprise require OOS J201s.
They were all measured on my Greatly Improved JFET Tester back when I built the PAL M800 after I couldn't get it to work right, 1.2 to 1.3 from memory!
Some of the Voltages were at 2.5 to 3v or it would Fart out!, Used it for a bit but it never had the Sustain or Push.
Got hold of some Siliconix J201's and Tested them, All in Spec! .625 to .675 from memory!.
Replaced the Fairchild's ????? & dialed the trimmers to 4.5v & it was Bliss!!!!!!
I played it again Yesterday & I myself prefer it a tad better than the Golden Falk which is also a Great pedal, just different!

I'm sure Pedal Hacker sells some Legit components!!!
He just didn't do the right after sale service on this purchase!!!

Last edited:
That would be one of the 5% then.

Idss a little on the higher than spec is not what made those J201's perform poorly in the PAL800. What made them perform poorly was the circuit needed JFETs with Vp near the low end of the spec range and yours had Vp at the high end of the range.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: when it comes to JFETs, having the right part number is no guarantee that you'll get the right tone.

Last edited:
That would be one of the 5% then.

Idss a little on the higher than spec is not what made those J201's perform poorly in the PAL800. What made them perform poorly was the circuit needed JFETs with Vp near the low end of the spec range and yours had Vp at the high end of the range.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: when it comes to JFETs, having the right part number is no guarantee that you'll get the right tone.
I'm not seeing any Vp on my Peak Atlas. I really don't understand what the figures mean, I'm much more of a music guy than a numbers guy, but here's one of my MMBFJ201s. I've compared this J201 to known good ones and I believe it's good, and the numbers seem pretty typical to me.

Vgs(off)=-0.56V at Id=5.0µA
Vgs(on)=0.43V at Id=1.18mA
gfs=1.9mA/V at Id=0.7mA to 1.2mA
Idss=0.43mA at Vds=3.00V
Rds(on)=607.6Ω at Id=1.2mA and Vgs=0.0V

Not seeing a Vp there, and the manual says nothing about it.

The SOB is also on my todo list. Do I need to measure SMD JFETs as well? Or are they more likely to be in spec? Where do I get an adapter to measure them using my transistor tester?

The SOB is also on my todo list. Do I need to measure SMD JFETs as well? Or are they more likely to be in spec? Where do I get an adapter to measure them using my transistor tester?
I solder them to adapter boards then test them. Fig (of course) has some kind of SMD tester rig thing.

I'm not seeing any Vp on my Peak Atlas. I really don't understand what the figures mean, I'm much more of a music guy than a numbers guy, but here's one of my MMBFJ201s. I've compared this J201 to known good ones and I believe it's good, and the numbers seem pretty typical to me.

Vgs(off)=-0.56V at Id=5.0µA
Vgs(on)=0.43V at Id=1.18mA
gfs=1.9mA/V at Id=0.7mA to 1.2mA
Idss=0.43mA at Vds=3.00V
Rds(on)=607.6Ω at Id=1.2mA and Vgs=0.0V

Not seeing a Vp there, and the manual says nothing about it.
Vp is the same as Vgs(off). With N-channel devices, Vgs(off) is always a negative number. Since that's understood, we frequently refer to Vp and leave off the minus sign.

Your Peak Atlas is not measuring/reporting Vgs(off) correctly. Vgs(off) is usually specified for Id << 1uA. In the datasheet above, it's specified at Id = 10nA.

Back