Trying to layout a muff on the breadboard

Yes.
My only suggestions would be to
1. swap the 3 wires going to the bottom 2 rows, to keep + along the red line and - along the blue line. Just to avoid confusion, but It will work the way you have it now.
2. Pot pins are too large and can damage the breadboard. I would move them off to the side and run wires like you did for the jacks.

You may want to pick up a protoboard if you’re enjoying the breadboarding process. You can swap pots out on a whim with no damage to the breadboard itself

Q2 diodes aren’t connected fully

Correction. Both sets of diodes need to go from collector to base. You may need to rearrange your layout

Also the recovery stage is a bit of a mess. Is it possibly to clean it up a bit?

Q2 diodes aren’t connected fully

Correction. Both sets of diodes need to go from collector to base. You may need to rearrange your layout

Also the recovery stage is a bit of a mess. Is it possibly to clean it up a bit?
I'm literally just trying to make it fit, and this is the first I've ever done one, Thank you for the corrections!

Reactions: fig
It's looking great for a first try. I've only done a few myself, you'll get better at organizing the layout each time.
Don't be discouraged if it doesn't work right away and you need to walk through it again.

I like to think of it in terms of the nodes, and how many "things" should be attached to each node.
For example, all the red dots below are the same node (same exact place in the circuit) and all green things are hooked to the same node.
Likewise, the Q2 base also has 6 things connected to it. Since you can only fit 5 on a breadboard line, you'll need to link a couple of rows to allow enough connections:
1647963332551.png

It's looking great for a first try. I've only done a few myself, you'll get better at organizing the layout each time.
Don't be discouraged if it doesn't work right away and you need to walk through it again.

I like to think of it in terms of the nodes, and how many "things" should be attached to each node.
For example, all the red dots below are the same node (same exact place in the circuit) and all green things are hooked to the same node.
Likewise, the Q2 base also has 6 things connected to it. Since you can only fit 5 on a breadboard line, you'll need to link a couple of rows to allow enough connections:
View attachment 24310
Once you get to a nice layout on breadboard, it's fairly straightforward to mount it on Veroboard for a more permanent arrangement. Just beware of the 'off-by-one' mistakes that I made, hence why some resistor legs are squew in the example. :cool:

muff_breadboard.jpg

• Love
Reactions: fig
And don’t get frustrated. I spent 3 days debugging this mess. I had ONE resistor going to V+ that should have been going to ground. I had to walk away from it multiple times. I was about to tear the whole thing apart!
🤬
😤

40C1150B-AE5B-4CE2-B5C5-7152540533DC.jpeg

No signal is going into q2. There needs to be a jumper to base

Think there needs to be a cap from q3 collector to tone stack but I can pull up the schematic

Your 33k resistor in the tone stack can’t start and end in the same column

There’s a reasonably priced Kindle edition of the esteemed Jack Orman’s book on the Big Muff, which is technical (at a level that even I can understand) and a great read on the various versions of the Muff through history :unsure: Well worth the price of admission.

Good luck with your Muff endeavour. Crossing the fun barrier will surely happen.

Back
Top Bottom